FORUMS: list search recent posts

[Newbie Question] Editing Longer Animations Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Han
[Newbie Question] Editing Longer Animations Workflow
on Dec 13, 2018 at 10:26:11 pm

Hi,

I'm new to AE, and currently interested in creating motion graphic/vector-style animations.

So far, I'm 30 seconds into editing my video but it takes an EXTREMELY long time to pre-render my scenes... There's a new YouTube channel called "RedOwl Infographics" (running a laptop with core i7 processor, 16GB Ram, 960m nvidia and a ssd as the primary hard drive) and he has a similar editing style as Kurzgesagt... and so I know that it's not a hardware issue considering my PC is considerably beefier...

I know that I'm doing something wrong in terms of my workflow. I know AE is not meant to edit longer videos, what am I doing wrong here?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: [Newbie Question] Editing Longer Animations Workflow
on Dec 13, 2018 at 11:52:19 pm

It would help to know what you consider to be a long time. The time it takes may very well be in the ball park for AE.

It's not very zippy, you see.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Dec 14, 2018 at 7:54:50 pm

3-5 minutes.

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Dec 14, 2018 at 7:58:32 pm

To add to this, I've got some help in regards in this question on another forum.

The person said:

Every shot, or at least every sentence or phrase in the narration, should be a separate composition. You need to learn how to work with shots and then you edit those shots together using something like Premiere Pro to finish longform projects. My average After Effects composition is less than seven seconds.

I replied with:

I suspected that I might need to take these separate scenes into PR but how would I go about adding the necessary transitions into 2 different scenes? What if I need to use AE to create the transition? How would you work around this problem, sir?

If this is the right way to go about creating a long (3-5 minute) animation video, how do I learn to combine all these scenes together IF I need AE to create the transition itself? I hope this makes sense.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 14, 2018 at 9:12:30 pm

[Kevin Han] "I suspected that I might need to take these separate scenes into PR but how would I go about adding the necessary transitions into 2 different scenes? What if I need to use AE to create the transition? How would you work around this problem, sir?"

3-5 minutes sounds about right for a prerender. If it's about 10 seconds in duration, that's downright zippy!

7 seconds max, huh? That sounds like Rick Gerard.

If you're going to do transitions for your animations, you need to plan for handles (i.e. extra video) at the comp's head & tail to make them in PP. And if you HAVE to do the transitions in AE, you can either nest the comps in another comp OR you can render the comps, import the animations, and do them in AE.

Yes, it involves a bit of planning. That's life in AE-Land.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Dec 14, 2018 at 9:54:35 pm

Ah... I see. How it's a bit of a pain in the ass I see lol. Yeah, it's that Rick ☺

Thank you for the help~!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]