FORUMS: list search recent posts

Begginer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matias Cambareri
Begginer
on Dec 13, 2018 at 6:21:54 pm

Dear all,
I am new on this, but for my thesis, i want to make this animation. how can i do it? (I tried with trim paths, but i have no results). I want each column apear from te base to the top individually. I think with linear wipe is possible, but for this, i should to obtain each column as a layer, right? (I have all the columns as shapes from a vector).

Thanks for helping!

regards!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Begginer
on Dec 13, 2018 at 6:45:38 pm

It appear that this graph has already been made. Why do you need to make it again?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matias Cambareri
on Dec 13, 2018 at 8:02:18 pm

Thanks for answer Dave. I need to make it again because i need to plot data from another city.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 13, 2018 at 11:50:24 pm

It looks like you're already doing well in that other application.
I'd simply use the application you used to make the first one. After Effects is beastly difficult to learn -- you need to know a TON of basics just to get to the point where you can start using it productively.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matias Cambareri
on Dec 14, 2018 at 12:55:39 am

Dear Dave, the point is the Image was not elaborated by me. I was wondering if after effects is the software used to do it and how can i do it.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Dec 14, 2018 at 1:12:19 am

Hi. Trim paths could do what you want - what do you mean by "I have no results"?

Return to posts index

Matias Cambareri
on Dec 14, 2018 at 1:19:07 am

Dear Greg, i can’t to anímate each column one by one. With trim paths, i am no tablet to do this, even selecting the option “individually”. I think could be because i made all the columns as a vector (in illustrator) and after i imported and converted to shapes???
Help please!!!

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Dec 14, 2018 at 2:47:30 am

I see. Each column would need to be separated to have them grow individually (and now that I look at it they are wedge shaped so Trim Paths might not work). As Dave says AE needs some time to learn so the easiest way I can think of to use your current single shape would be to animate a mask (or masks) by keyframing the Mask Path setting - you will need to precompose the shape layer. If the shape is totally separate from the background, grids, lettering etc. then it might be easier to mask the Illustrator image and you won't have to precompose or use the shape layer at all. By far the easiest way (if the shape is totally separate as above) would be to simply use the Linear Wipe effect. It wouldThey would not grow from the centre but from the side and across. I would suggest trying this first to see if the look is acceptable as any other option is time consuming and can be complicated.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Dec 14, 2018 at 2:54:03 am

Apologies I meant the Radial Wipe effect.

Return to posts index

Matias Cambareri
on Dec 14, 2018 at 3:36:51 am

Thanks for answerig Greg. I will try this way... (at least for my work). Maybe i will do a AE course soon.. :P

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Dec 19, 2018 at 4:03:18 pm

This will probably be tricky if you're new to after effects. But i think trim paths could work.

You need to make each slice as a separate shape layer, and use one of the slice layers as an alpha matte on top of a very thick colored line (on a separate layer) then when you animate the trim path effect to fill that slice, the line will only show up where the alpha matte is present.

On top of the alpha matte layer, place another slice layer but one that has the lines in place. With some tweaking i think that would work. Once you have one of the slices working, duplicate it and rotate it to fill out the the rest of the chart.

I'd recommend making a null object to use as a control layer also so you can animate the values easier. On the control layer I'd put an expression slider for each trim path effect. Then pick whip the trim path value to the expression slider. This way you won't have to hop around many layers to animate.

Return to posts index

Matias Cambareri
on Dec 19, 2018 at 6:07:26 pm

Thank you Max! Seems easy but... i think i will need inquire more on null objects so. I tried to do something like that and i ve realized that i had to animate each layer separadly.

Regards

Return to posts index

Matias Cambareri
on Dec 21, 2018 at 2:57:36 pm

Sadly, i can´t do it :(

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Dec 21, 2018 at 4:20:02 pm

I would look at polar coordinatees on an adjustment layer as i animate a simple mask of solids on top of a grid

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Dec 21, 2018 at 6:28:56 pm

You might be better off trying to make the graph in excel or look up some software that's less graphically hands on. Maybe one of the websites here would help you. https://blog.cometdocs.com/8-sites-for-creating-free-animated-graphs

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Dec 23, 2018 at 1:53:20 am

Hi Matias. Did the Radial Wipe not give an acceptable look.? I have an idea of a very, very simple of way of doing it without having to have any separate layers - but it's using the Radial Wipe effect. Let me know if it's of interest.

Return to posts index

Matias Cambareri
on Dec 26, 2018 at 12:00:08 pm

Thank you Max and Greg for your help! I tried with the solution aported by Max (each slide by layer, but i need to animate each layer individually (twice!). So, Greg, if you have a simpler method with radial wipe i will be eternally gratefully.

Thank you again!!

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Dec 27, 2018 at 12:25:32 am

Hi Matias. You will need four versions/images of your Vector without the text that goes into the central circle:

Base - just the years and the black central circle (as at the end of your gif)
Temperature - as when Temp is fully visible in your gif, including the years and central circle
Rain - as when Rain is fully visible etc as above
Sun - as when Sun is full visible etc as above.

Place them as layers in your composition:
1 Base
2 Temp
3 Rain
4 Sun
5 Base

Add the Radial Wipe effect to each of the top 4 layers.

On Layer 1 go to the time when you want the transition to begin, make a Transition keyframe for 0, move along to when you want the transition complete and make a Transition keyframe at 100. You will need to change the Start Angle so that the upright black bar with the numbers appears completely (I used -2). The Temperature layer will now have wiped on and be visible.

Do the same thing for all four top layers.

You might want to keyframe the Start Angle of your Sun Layer so that it wipes on as the others do, but wipes off leaving the black bar as the last thing to go.

Now make the text layers that will go into the centre black circle in After Effects (or you could import the text only from your other program) and keyframe the Opacity so they each fade in/out as required. These text layers should sit at the top of all the vector layers.

Let me know if any of this is unclear but I hope once you've done the first transition all should make sense!?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]