FORUMS: list search recent posts

Controlling Trim Paths End percentage based on a changing number in the same comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Battershill
Controlling Trim Paths End percentage based on a changing number in the same comp
on Dec 12, 2018 at 12:31:42 pm
Last Edited By James Battershill on Dec 13, 2018 at 12:54:54 pm

Hi folks,

I've lurked here for years but never posted before, but I think I finally have a question worth of your time!

I'd like to have a circle that grows using Trim Paths as the 0-100 number it surrounds goes up. So for example if the number is 83 then 83% of the circle will be outlined.

The problem is that the number is pulled by Templater 2 from a Google Sheet and is then animated by the following expression (that I grabbed from Google, I still can't get my head around making my own expressions)

start=parseInt(thisLayer.text.sourceText="0");
end=parseInt(text.sourceText);
val=Math.round(easeOut(time, startTime, 4,start, end));

In my head I thought I'd just pick-whip Trim Path End to the text source, but obviously that doesn't work. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Controlling Trim Paths End percentage based on a changing number in the same comp
on Dec 15, 2018 at 12:04:10 pm

No idea why the start value is written in such a convoluted manner on the first line. I would think it just "start = 0;"

I don't know why it wouldn't work, apart from the rounding, which is not needed for the Trim path end value, it just makes the animation jittery as it rounds to the nearest integer.

What happens when you try to use this for the Trim Path End value?

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Max Haller
Re: Controlling Trim Paths End percentage based on a changing number in the same comp
on Dec 18, 2018 at 3:41:58 pm

Can you just animate them both with a slider control? Have that increase the source text and the use it for the path end?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]