FORUMS: list search recent posts

[Overclocking CPU] OC 1 Core or All-Cores?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Han
[Overclocking CPU] OC 1 Core or All-Cores?
on Dec 4, 2018 at 9:48:42 pm

Hi,

I just purchased a new computer for gaming and video editing and decided to purchase the overpriced i9-9900k as it seems to fit my objectiveand money wasn't an issue at the time.

My question is: Should I bother overclocking ALL 8 cores or just overclock 1 core? The benefits to overclocking 1 core is that I can push it maybe 0.1-0.3 GHz higher than if I were to OC all the cores. Also, I'll probably be able to maintain better CPU temps, and whatnot.

I know that After Effects does not make use of all the cores as effectively as other video editing softwares, and so I would like to hear your expertise on this matter.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: [Overclocking CPU] OC 1 Core or All-Cores?
on Dec 4, 2018 at 11:22:59 pm

Don't overclock ANYTHING. That's just gamer-think. Leave those clocks alone. Don't touch 'em.

Instead, get yourself a copy of Render Garden, which lets AE use multiple cores at the same time. That's the single best, non-destructive way to speed up AE renders.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Dec 4, 2018 at 11:28:26 pm

Is there a specific reason why you would not reccommend it..? I've not heard of anyone telling me I shouldn't when I can get it to 5.0 GHz at all 8 cores on a stable temp... I do have render garden already but I am looking to just speed up the overall workflow of AE...

Your comment does not make any sense to me as I don't see the cons to overclocking at stable temps. I'm fine if my CPU longevity is decreased because of this.

Please clarify your comment sir~

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Dec 4, 2018 at 11:30:33 pm

Also, I haven't used Render Garden yet (I've bought it tho because I know it's useful), but I thought that program only helps to do final renders of videos? Does it help with pre-rendering scenes as well?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 5, 2018 at 5:10:45 pm

Sorry, I can't give you an answer on overclocking because I've never, EVER done it and I don't know of any AE users who have. Those unfortunates who've tried it don't have success. So no one does it. It's one of those, "Just don't do it!" things.

People don't like their AE work to blow up on them, I guess.

I don't have Render Garden (I can't get it) but I'm pretty sure it works when you preview. It should say so in the instructions.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Dec 5, 2018 at 5:13:06 pm

Okay, I understand.

Thanks for all your help, I guess I gotta make best with what I have..

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Jan 4, 2019 at 4:20:32 pm

I overclocked my r7 1700 from 3ghz to 3.8 across 8 cores and have no issues with after effects. It provides the speed bonus you would expect just monitor your temps if you want to try it and you should be fine. I've never heard of any horror stories honestly. Im not sure if you'd see more of a benefit specifically with AE as far as OC'ing one core a bit higher than OC'ing all the cores. If the OC is stable is see no reason why you would run into any problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]