FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extract exact grain pattern from a plate to regrain a comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adhish Yajnik
Extract exact grain pattern from a plate to regrain a comp
on Nov 29, 2018 at 11:37:49 pm

Hi all,

I saw this feature at another studio, but since it was executed via scripts, I never got to understand how it worked under the hood, and was wondering if anybody here had an idea:

The script degrained the plate for you, using Neat Video's Reduce Noise, and then also created a precomp that extracted the original grain pattern from the plate to use as a regrain layer at the top of the stack. This avoids Match Grain, which often doesn't match well, or Add Grain, which is good, but manual.

and created a grain layer at the top of the layer stack to regrain everything using the same grain rather than using a Match Grain or manually-tweaked Add Grain effect.

I suspect it's something like the degrained plate Difference'd against the original plate, but how do I adjust that comp so that when applied over the degrained comp, it will match the grain from the original plate?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Extract exact grain pattern from a plate to regrain a comp
on Nov 30, 2018 at 3:23:02 pm

This sounds just wrong.

What was "another studio" doing that it felt the need to remove & add back grain? Green screen with no scale/position modifications? Color grading? I can't think of any other uses.

Besides, since grain is a random pattern, jumping through hoops to retain the original grain seems like a needless step. You could add back any old grain that comes close with far less hassle.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]