Simulate Laser light on 3d Mesh

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Callaert
Simulate Laser light on 3d Mesh
on Nov 28, 2018 at 9:58:18 am
Last Edited By Benjamin Callaert on Nov 28, 2018 at 10:10:20 am

Hi Everyone,

new on the forum, i wanted to say already a big thanks for the number of time this forum helpt me on my creations !

i'm stuck on a scene, i need to show to a client how a laser beam will react on a 3D Mesh box(not only 4 faces the box is filled up with smaller box also in mesh).

I did some test with Element 3D but i can't figure it out how to litteraly project a 2D footage onto a 3D environnent without that looking flat... .

My knowledge in C4D are limited, i'm working on 3dsmax most of the time but since C4d has this amazing compatibility with AE... .

In max, i can put an image inside a light and project it on a surface, but in C4D no clue.

Meaby someone has a better idea?

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice day.

Ben.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Simulate Laser light on 3d Mesh
on Nov 28, 2018 at 1:27:17 pm

In C4d, on your material tag, on projection, change from uvw to camera projection. Drag a camera to that. I suppose that would be the same workflow as you described in Max for a light. But I'm not sure what you said about it "looking flat". Because if you look through the projection, it will look as if its 2d. What changes this perception is the composition of shadows and lights affecting the surface along with the projection itself.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Benjamin Callaert
on Nov 29, 2018 at 6:52:53 am

Hi Cassius,

thanks a lot for the help,

i think this will help showing what i'm trying to acheive :

This is a laser projection on mesh lines. I need to reproduce that but on my 3d Mesh.

This is why i though to use the c4d camera has a projector for my content, but i think instead i will animate a 3d shape, place it inside my mesh cube than use alpha to show only the place where it "hits" the mesh.

Thanks again.

Ben

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Nov 29, 2018 at 3:17:02 pm

Not sure if this would work for what you need, but what if you put a light in c4d in a matrix or cloner and had it set up with rows and columns so the lights would be at the intersection of that mesh cube essentially. The example you linked to seems like it could be light's being pulling up and down on strings together so they seem like a moving plane. Maybe creating it that way would work better than trying to project a light through the actual mesh.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Nov 29, 2018 at 7:32:36 pm

I see, it could be done in several ways I guess, but back on topic, if you're still interested, check this. The third option to be more precise.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]