FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animating Individual Characters of Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bradley Kus
Animating Individual Characters of Text
on Nov 27, 2018 at 1:13:41 am

I've been looking around YouTube and Google and can't find any tutorials or forums discussing this question specifically - I want to have letters of a word move towards the screen (so typically just changing the Z position), but I want the letters to all move apart from each other at an equal rate. I know there are better examples out there, but here are two attached below - the first is a little more obvious in the chorus when he says, "If I'm not afraid why" at 1:20ish, and the second example is in the second verse, specifically at 1:31 when she says "Every night."

I'm sure there's a term for this style of animation, I'm just having trouble finding tutorials online anywhere. Can anyone explain an easy way of achieving this?

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: Animating Individual Characters of Text
on Nov 27, 2018 at 3:14:10 am

There might be a term but I can't recall. Fortunatley much of that you can probably do natively in AE. With a Text layer in a comp, go up to the Effects & Presets tab, Open up the Presets and the Text section. You'll find a ton of things to play with & might give you some ideas when it comes to inter word and inter letter spacing.

If you need more control or options, search around over at http://aescripts.com/

Mamoworld just released a new version of TextExploder that you might want to look at but there are a number of text specific scripts if you look around.

Return to posts index

Bradley Kus
on Nov 27, 2018 at 5:37:24 am

Thank you! I ended up figuring out it was called tracking and kerning.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Nov 27, 2018 at 7:40:28 pm

That be them. I wasn't exactly up to mental speed at 4 am & pre-coffee.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]