FORUMS: list search recent posts

Traditional texture

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Solowiow
Traditional texture
on Nov 24, 2018 at 3:46:51 pm

Hi again.

I'm only good with basics regarding After Effects and Premiere Pro, and I made a post about this about a week ago and didn't get helped.
So, can someone help me fix this distressed texture that this gif has?
I'm going to use it on animation as well.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/77da/f/2018/059/4/3/sam___by_maskman626-dc4j4...

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: Traditional texture
on Nov 24, 2018 at 6:01:50 pm

I saw your post last week & still have no idea what you're asking. You're going to have to be a LOT more specific as in what do you mean by "distressed texture"? The overall image? The boys red suit? The background?

The image I'm seeing looks pretty clean frankly, considering the compression GIF's use. The few artifacts present are most likely from that & those would probably have to be had cleaned frame by frame.

Return to posts index

Alexander Solowiow
on Nov 24, 2018 at 9:38:57 pm

You can clearly see at the end when he stops running and turns around, that the image "moves" as if it was traditionally drawn on distressed paper/surface. In other words, the creator of the gif has made an animation and then put texture on top of it. That is what I'm referring to, and I'm surprised that it wasn't recognized by studying the gif.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Nov 24, 2018 at 11:57:24 pm

No, it's not obvious.

The animated gif loops so anything you're referring to is only there for a fraction of a second. Movement hides a lot of things.

You might have simply posted a static frame as well & pointed out what you're trying or wanting to do.

Return to posts index

Alexander Solowiow
on Nov 25, 2018 at 1:01:15 am

[Mark Whitney] "No, it's not obvious. "

I don't understand how it was hard to get that. My subject clearly says "Traditional texture", and the gif represents an animation done to look more traditional (60's - 70's). If you watch today's cartoons and 2D animated movies you'll see the obvious difference, being that the texture today is usually clear while older animations have the texture integrated into the drawings since it's hand drawn on paper. And my question was very simple: if someone could help me make my own animation look like that with the help of After Effects.

If you can't understand and grasp that simplicity then I don't know how else I can explain it to you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 26, 2018 at 12:01:21 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 26, 2018 at 12:26:38 am

Well, the way animators GOT that "traditional" look was by doing traditional -- i.e. CEL -- animation. AE isn't good at cel animation. Photoshop is much better at it, creating image sequences. Be sure to have the skills of a Disney animator. Be sure to know how to replicate the "textures" you seek in Photoshop.

"Hey, where's the automation? Why doesn't this sound easy?"

It's not there and it isn't, pal.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alexander Solowiow
on Nov 26, 2018 at 12:56:54 am

I have seen some tutorials of it in the past but I can't find it, despite seeking for it on YouTube for almost an hour. The person was playing with different plugins and got that traditional look. I barely remember what that person did exactly, so I came on here to seek people who might have experience with that.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Nov 26, 2018 at 1:15:30 am

Hi, I can only suggest that you do a search for AE's Cartoon Effect to see if you can find the tutorial. Your original has a hand painted background, the brush marks are what give it the texture - as mentioned Photoshop can convert an image to a hand painted look. The character however is block colours and outlines.

Return to posts index

Tim Drage
on Nov 26, 2018 at 10:05:04 am

This doesn't look like a 'traditional' distressed texture to me so much as some lossy gif compression artifacts. Probably the original animation just had some fake film grain added and that is playing havoc with the compression

if you do want animated distressed texture you could just paint and scan some rough black+white ink/watercolour washes and loop a few different ones (enough to not be tooo obvious that it's a repeated loop) + overlay it on your whole animation with some transfer mode or other. Or download something similar from some free textures site. Probably you'd want to animate it on twos

Old cel animation doesn't really have that kind of texture tho so it depends how realistic you are aiming for. At most and old film could be faded and damaged and you might get some dirt + scratches, if you want that look there's plenty of good film dirt + grain overlays out there to download.

Return to posts index

Alexander Solowiow
on Nov 26, 2018 at 11:12:01 am

Yeah that's what I thought as well, it's just that I saw someone playing around with some plugins a few years ago and he got that traditional look but I can't find the tutorial on YouTube despite looking for it for hours. Thx for the tips.

You are a little bit misinformed regarding the cel animation texture tho, 60 - 70's cel animation does have this texture due to the early quality of the cameras and the texture the paper had. Here are just 2 examples I found really quick on YouTube (they are a little bit more subtle but if you look closely they are still there). I guess when I say texture I also mean the "switching images" and patterns that the old cameras give, they sort of contribute to the traditional look.

1:

2:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]