FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working on cropped clip from premiere

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin de Menil
Working on cropped clip from premiere
on Nov 24, 2018 at 3:39:03 am

If i use replace with after effects composition in Premiere, i get threeb items imported into the new AE project: the original clip, a linked comp containing the clip as it was prepared in Premiere, and another comp that contains the uncropped, full length original clip.

I'd like to paint on the clip and only seem to be able to do that on the uncropped comp, which requires searching within it to find the section used in my Premiere timeline.

Next when I'm done is like to replace the clip, which was a proxy, with a color graded version that contains only the section I'm using.

How do i do this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Working on cropped clip from premiere
on Nov 24, 2018 at 5:19:36 am

It's going to help a lot if we know exactly what you're up to. Can you tell us what, in detail, you want the viewer to see when all is done?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Benjamin de Menil
on Nov 24, 2018 at 12:42:49 pm

The original video is if a woman dancing to an entire song. In my premiere timeline I'm using only 10seconds of it. I've magnified it about 2x ans am also using a sphearize effect with the center point keyed to move with her and a keyed mask. I'd like to bring it into after affects, draw on it frame by frame with the brush to create an animated brush drawing over the dancing figure.
Next, I'd like to grade the video in resolve, which means substituting raw files for the proxies I've been working on in the premiere timeline. My graded resolve clips will contain only the parts that I've used in premiere. In this case I'll grade the 10 seconds of dancing woman used in the clip, and not the full song length. I assemble the graded clips back in premiere and apply any effects to them i had going to their corresponding proxies - including size and position. I'd like to take the graded clip of the dancer into the ae composition i made with proxie, and replace the proxie with graded clip. Hopefully id then have the animated brush drawing over the graded clip rather than the proxie.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 24, 2018 at 8:25:39 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 24, 2018 at 9:03:35 pm

Wow. This will NOT be easy or fast.

For this 10 seconds of video, I recommend NO proxies. Instead, I recommend transcoding the 10 seconds -- including edit handles -- using a good intermediate codec. No mp4. No h.264. Something GOOD that can handle multiple generations of re-encoding.

First, isolate the dancer. Use After Effects. Make sure it is perfect. Do not proceed until it is. Then export using the same lossless codec as before. Re-import the clip into After effects.

The next step is your call. Is the frame-by-frame painting dependent on subject's motions? I bet it is. Do it next. When done -- and it will probably be the most painstaking and time-consuming step -- export using the same lossless codec.

What happens next? Does the look of the background need to be preserved? If so, grade the dancer clip and AGAIN export it into AE. Now you can put the dancer on the sphere, mate it up with the background, and export for use in PP.

You are NOT doing anything easy. You are NOT doing anything that can be automated. If this is what you hoped for, abandon your hope.

This will probably be the most painful 10-plus second shot of your young career. You are probably doing this because it has never been done before. Well, there is a price to be paid for originality, and you are about to pay it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Benjamin de Menil
on Nov 24, 2018 at 9:04:23 pm

Hi Dave,

Does it have that complicated?

Firstly, I've already done the frame by frame animation, and not only to one clip. So im just looking for how to import my graded clip into the original after effects composition, hopefully bring it in on a new track, set the brush affect on the original track to transparant, so that just the brush shows through onto the now graded clip. As for getting the sizing and sphere through, AE imported those effects already from premiere clip, so im hoping to be able to apply them to the imported graded clip in AE. Does this sound possible?

Is the usual order of operations to grade before applying effects in AE?

Im also confused about best practice for using the brush tool on clip brought over from Premiere. It results as I said in two comps in AE, one with the entire uncut video file that the clip comes from, and one with the clip as edited in premiere - but I could only figure out how to use the brush tool on the comp with full length clip - which also lacks the sizing and effects I created in Premiere. It's been difficult to work that way, but it's working.

Im new to AE so forgive my cluelessness.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 24, 2018 at 9:11:36 pm

I have given you the no-fail, always-works workflow. If you choose to ignore it, that's your call.

And good luck.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Benjamin de Menil
on Nov 24, 2018 at 9:20:06 pm

I appreciate that. But I've already invested several days in drawing the animation, and am looking for a way to avoiding starting over.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]