FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE is only exporting part sequence when exporting to C4D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
AE is only exporting part sequence when exporting to C4D
on Nov 20, 2018 at 6:29:46 pm

I'm not sure if this should go in the AE forum or the C4D forum, as I'm not 100% which of the two is the only producing the problem. However, I'm inclined to think it's AE, as I currently have no issue importing complete sequences previously exported from AE into C4D. So I believe the issue is AE's and that it's an issue that's happening right now, and perhaps with a specific sequence.

Anyway, I'll upload the sequence in case one of you can dive a go at it and see if it works for you. It's a real basic sequence: just two 3D text objects, one parented to the other, that slightly move to compensate for lens distortion, and there's a camera object that slowly travels forward. Just that. (All the background stuff will be composited later, back in AE.) Everything is in 24fps. I'm exporting this but when I open it up in C4D, both the camera movement and the text movement go up to frame 201 and then there's no more keyframes.

What could be going on wrong? I have a similar sequence, with the same elements, that I've exported successfully and opened up in C4D without a hitch. So I'm stumped...

Thanks in advance for your input!

12898_sequence.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE is only exporting part sequence when exporting to C4D
on Nov 20, 2018 at 11:38:18 pm

I can't open it -- I'm not on that version -- but one thing comes to mind: does the work area extend for the entire length of the comp?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on Nov 21, 2018 at 12:23:21 am

Hi, Dave, thanks for your reply. Here's a copy exported for CC13, in case you have a version form then on:
12899_sequencecc13.aep.zip
To answer your question, though: Yes, the work area extends all the way through. I've checked and rechecked everything and everything seems to be correct but it only exports to frame 201. (And there's nothing in that frame that might be freaking out the software; everything's pretty straightforward.)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 21, 2018 at 12:26:27 am

That I can read! It's quitting time, so I'll give it a look-see in the AM.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on Nov 21, 2018 at 12:27:16 am

Thanks! 😁

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Nov 21, 2018 at 3:48:38 pm
Last Edited By Cassius Marques on Nov 21, 2018 at 3:53:55 pm

Your total composition durarion is 8s 10f. Base 24. Thats exactly 201 frames, if starting at 0. It totals to 202 frames exported.

You should note that your composition in AE is not starting from 00:00:00. That's whats causing you confusion.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on Nov 22, 2018 at 12:34:53 am
Last Edited By Xavier Bonet on Nov 22, 2018 at 1:05:55 am

Oh! You're right! I never thought to check the start timecode! Specially because it's so weird it starts at 05:01, that has never happened to me before... I wonder why it has this time...

Anyway, setting it back to 0:00:00:00 solved it. Before, when it was exporting to C4D, it was was doing something weird in that it had the C4D timeline start at 121, which is 5:01, I know, but the animation actually started at 0:00, which meant I was missing about half my animation (121 frames). It was late and I didn't notice the starting frame was 121.

So there's the timecode oversight but what I find a bit strange is that AE exports to C4D exactly what it has setup as its timecode but completely ignores where the animations begins. Because even with the timecode starting at 05:01, I shouldn't have had any problem because in C4D the animation should've started at 121 and ended at 323... instead, it started at frame 0, and ended at 202. Which is weird, right? Am I missing something? I mean, still there's been a weird thing happening in the export.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 21, 2018 at 5:44:51 pm

Cassius is 100% correct. Learn your arithmetic.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on Nov 22, 2018 at 1:27:29 am

Hey, Dave, I appreciate you taking the time to help and everything but I must say your comment:

[Dave LaRonde] "Learn your arithmetic."

Is uncalled for and rather rude, insulting, not to mention a bit violent.

I don't think it's an issue of knowing my arithmetic, I think my arithmetic is rather OK. Not having noticed my timecode began at 0:00:05:01 rather than 0:00:00:00 is what has happened, and is clearly an oversight of mine for which I take full responsibility. The fact is I didn't think to check the timecode because it never occurred to me I might have created a new composition that somehow had 0:00:05:01 set as its starting timecode. But as I say in my answer to Cassius (who, by the way, helped me see what was going on without thinking it imperative to take a shot at me): the fact remains that AE was exporting my comp weirdly: it was exporting the timeline as is, with it starting at 121 and ending at 322 (arithmetic... 05:01 × 24 = 121; 13:10 × 24 = 322... √ learned) but the actual animation (which in AE started at 121 and ended at 322, as per the timecode) was starting at 0 and ending at 202... I think you can see the issue here: it was this that was confusing me: I was only seeing half my animation when I played it on C4D (yes, not noticing it was starting on 121 and not 0, so maybe it's not an issue of learning my arithmetic but rather an issue of needing better glasses, getting tested for dyslexia or simply going to bed earlier and not working until 4am to meet a deadline...)

Anyway, I don't mean to be preachy, but my point is that when one comes looking for help to a forum it's because one has exhausted every other possibility. Often, one's conundrum is nothing but a simple fix to someone else or to a group of people. I believe that's the reason forums where created. We're allowed oversights, I believe, without being berated for them. Even seasoned pros sometimes make mistakes and need a little help. Snide remarks are never constructive and when I read them in forums I question whether those people writing them understand the essence of a collective mind... but when I see them from moderators or, a "cow leader", well, it's just disappointing, to say the least...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]