FORUMS: list search recent posts

UV layer map onto OBJ with trapcode form

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stan Fraser
UV layer map onto OBJ with trapcode form
on Nov 4, 2018 at 11:48:20 pm

Hello,

I am by no means an expert on 3D but I hope what I am trying to achieve here is fairly straightforward for someone more knowledgeable than me...

My aim is to map a glass ceiling (galeries lafayette) onto a bell/dome shape I modelled in C4D. A screenshot of both assets are attached here:

I am adding it to the object ok but I can't find any controls of how to edit the position of the image with regard to its placement on the obj. What I am trying to achieve is having the centre of the image at the centre top of the obj - giving it a dome effect - making it symmetrical , however this is result I am currently getting:

Here are some screen grabs of my base form and layer map settings:

I hope this makes sense. Please get back to me with any questions. I am working to a tight deadline so any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: UV layer map onto OBJ with trapcode form
on Nov 5, 2018 at 12:44:25 am

It really depends on how that OBJ's polys have been ordered and whether or not a UV map has been baked into the OBJ. In C4d, is there a little checkerboard tag next to the objects name in the object manager? If not then the UVW map is gone.
For something like your bell I would imagine that's been created with revolve function (or lathe) so the UV' should be well ordered. You can change the projection of the map in the texture tag's attributes - based on your images I would imagine a flat projection with the orientation of the tag set to p:-90 (the flat projection assumes you want to "shine" the texture on a flat surface straight in front of you with the plane receiving the texture spanning the X,Y planes. To shoot from the top down you have to orient the texture (rotate in the X) so that it points straight down.)
With the shallow angles of the sides of this bell shape that should work, but a cylindrical map would probably be better - however the texture you provided is definitely not cylindrical.

Return to posts index

Stan Fraser
on Nov 5, 2018 at 1:46:31 am

Thanks for your response.

What programme are you suggesting I make these edits in? Can I go into the 'texture tag's attributes' in trapcode form or would I need to head back into C4D?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Nov 5, 2018 at 2:21:07 am

Yes try making those changes in C4D (all the instructions were based on that) and then try exporting again in both OBJ and FBX and see how Form sees them then.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]