FORUMS: list search recent posts

changing size of comp window changes look of render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bentley
changing size of comp window changes look of render
on Nov 4, 2018 at 11:18:11 pm
Last Edited By Steve Bentley on Nov 4, 2018 at 11:29:10 pm

Bit of a head scratcher here. Client sent this file for us to version to different sizes but when I change the comp size on the inner most "snow" comp (to 2000x2000 for instance), I get vastly different looks to the snow - as if once certain elements are outside the "camera's" frame they... ok, I don't know they do. Its almost a quantum effect: don't look at me or i"ll change.
I've tried using continually rasterize in the outer comps to widen out the frame but I get the same results - massively more snow showing up than was there at a narrow frame size.
I don't need this solved because we just rebuilt the particle system (this example is probably the worst way to do it), but its more the oddity of why I can't just expand the frame size.

12860_viewportsizeissuefolder.zip.zip

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: changing size of comp window changes look of render
on Nov 5, 2018 at 12:26:21 am

I'm curious why you just don't compress your final render to a deliverable for the client.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Nov 5, 2018 at 12:34:12 am

The client needed a bunch of different aspect and sizes, some of which need the continuously rasterize to make sure everything scales nice and sharp, but they couldn't figure out how to change the stage size without screwing up the look of the snow. We couldn't either and still don't know why the number of blobs changes especially since they are just pngs of patches of blobs.
When we change the aspect we have to shift elements around to accommodate the new composition layout.
I suppose shouldn't have used the word render. The issue is how the elements appear in the viewer, stage, camera view or whatever you want to call it.
Its almost as if the min max depth clipping changes when you change the width of the comp and you get to see layers that until that point were too far from or too close to the default camera to show up.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Nov 5, 2018 at 10:42:28 am

If you add a camera to the comp, you don't get this issue. At least not in the inner comp. I guess the "default" camera tries to adjust the view to accommodate for the change in comp dimensions, while an actual camera layer retains its viewpoint.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]