FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I recreate this glitch effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hafeez Zainalabidin
How do I recreate this glitch effect?
on Oct 31, 2018 at 5:18:35 am

I came across this opener on one of IGN's videos and I can't for the life of me figure out how the glitch effect is done. The effect I'm referring to kicks in at about 0:15 right before it transitions to the presenter.

It seems like the standard "displacement map-masking/playing around with evolutions" thing but the way it sort of procedurally diminishes from the opener to the presenter, with the "glitch blocks" disappearing one by one, has me thinking there might be some expression magic going on here that I haven't come across before.

Anyone have an idea on what it might be?

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: How do I recreate this glitch effect?
on Oct 31, 2018 at 2:47:09 pm

It is just a bunch of rectangles with a texture inside them. First they are stacked in, then removed. I guess you could do it in a complicated manner, such as using Particular to emit them, but all you really need is a bunch of layers filled with symbols like that and rectangular masks on them and stack them to show up one frame after the previous layer adn then disappear in the same manner. The bottom layers are scaled smaller than the top ones.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Hafeez Zainalabidin
on Oct 31, 2018 at 2:57:40 pm

Well that's one way to do it. I guess I was hoping for a method that could both automate and randomize said rectangles so it wouldn't be quite as resource-intensive.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Oct 31, 2018 at 4:25:49 pm

For a more automated approach, you could do this with Particular and an expression to automate the creation of the text for the particles. Nevertheless, it will be a bit of work to set up the expression to select only certain characters from a font. Won't be faster to do it that way for a single instance, but if you need a whole bunch of these that need to look different, it would be sensible.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Mark Doctor
on Oct 31, 2018 at 10:32:34 pm

Perhaps you can also create an image sequence of 5 unique frames and use the time-displacement to offset the display of each frame?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]