FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to After Effects but experienced with Premiere pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Johnson
New to After Effects but experienced with Premiere pro
on Oct 30, 2018 at 11:45:07 am

Hello everyone, like the title says, i want to start learning Adobe After Effects but since i'm experienced with Premiere Pro i thought i may ask a few questions regarding similarities and differences as well as the uses of the 2. Here are the ones i'm interested in:

- When do you use each, when is it better to use one rather than the other?
- Which features does After Effects have that Premiere pro doesn't, also which features are more advanced in After effects ( example: i heard that After effects is better for advanced cropping ) ?
- Is there anything to look out for when it comes to workspace , are they similar or fairly different? Does After effects have any specific windows that Premiere pro doesn't?
- Additional tips,cautions and advice will be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: New to After Effects but experienced with Premiere pro
on Oct 30, 2018 at 12:11:41 pm

If you do editing, you stick to PP as much as you can. When you need an effect and PP is annoying you, switch to AE.
If you do motion graphics (and you don't, or you won't be asking this question) you work in AE and switch to PP to do long assembly work.
You really need a book or course to grasp AE. Adobe did not develop it, they bought it from a company named CoSa.
That was a long time ago, but the old CoSa way of doing things is still there. You can't really compare the two, neither on functionality nor on interface.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 30, 2018 at 3:18:15 pm

As Bouke writes, there are few similarities between the two. I would say there are almost none.

I've seen it written that learning PP is like learning to drive the family car... and learning AE is like learning to fly a fighter jet. There are more basics, there are more details, there are more gotchas.

I'll mention just one difference. You can't just play your video by hitting the space bar. AE doesn't PLAY anything. It PREVIEWS. Different application... different uses for it.. and different ways it works. So be prepared to learn a lot and to walk before you run.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mikey Zoppo
on Nov 1, 2018 at 9:18:20 pm

The answer to your questions would take quite some time to write. You should do a little googling about the differences as there are many articles.

But if you're going to get started with AE, I'd recommend Andrew Kramers basic training series (http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/). It's going to provide a very BASIC overview of all the core components of After Effects. These tutorials were recorded many years ago so the version of AE he's using is much older. But most of it will still apply. It's enough to get you understanding what AE is capable of, how it works, and the various ways to use it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]