FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particle Playground - How to Have Particles Bounce Off a Layer or Mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Iz Rog
Particle Playground - How to Have Particles Bounce Off a Layer or Mask
on Oct 28, 2018 at 8:06:37 pm

Hello - I've been trying to have my Particle Playground bounce off, or repel off a mask, or layer, and can't get it to work. The particles are coming out of a pair of eyes (which is okay), but I need it to bounce off portions of the face and body. I placed a mask on the same layer with the particle playground, and as a separate layer, and still cannot have the particles bounce, or repel off the body, or face mask. HELP!!!!!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...(:

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Particle Playground - How to Have Particles Bounce Off a Layer or Mask
on Oct 29, 2018 at 5:05:57 pm

The mask needs to be on the same layer as the particle effect.

Return to posts index

Iz Rog
on Oct 29, 2018 at 6:10:17 pm

I tried that, but it's not working. Maybe the setup inside the particle playground layer is not quite right. What are the options that need to be set? And, what does it need to be set to in order for the mask to repel the particles from the face/body. (So, the particles just don't fall to the ground without bouncing off of something from the body). Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Oct 29, 2018 at 7:21:27 pm

You should be able to open the Wall parameter in the Particle Playground effect and set the Boundary to which mask you would like to use (I believe you can only do one mask per effect).

Return to posts index

Iz Rog
on Oct 29, 2018 at 8:35:40 pm

Okay, I'll try it again. But this time I'll create one mask that will cover both the middle of the face and body (not the eyes), and set the Wall Boundary, and see what happens. But when I tried it before, all the particles went into the mask, and not outside of it when the Affects Particle From is set to All. What should this be set to?

Return to posts index

Iz Rog
on Oct 30, 2018 at 12:42:20 am

I tried it, but still no love..(: I created the mask in the PP layer, and picked Mask 1 in the Wall option, but the particles still is not reacting to the mask. It just looks like the mask is not there. There must be another setting that I'm not getting to have the particles repel, or bounce off the mask. I am so frustrated with this because it shouldn't be this difficult to tell it to repel off of this mask.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Oct 30, 2018 at 12:51:43 am

Is your Particle Playground applied to a black Solid layer that is the same size as your composition? Can you post a screenshot of your workspace?

I just did a quick test with particles and a mask and it worked as it should, so I'm guessing there is something in your comp that is throwing things off.

Return to posts index

Iz Rog
on Oct 30, 2018 at 1:44:03 am
Last Edited By Iz Rog on Oct 30, 2018 at 1:58:56 am

Great. I just took 4 screenshots. Two of the Particle Playground config., one of the composition settings, and one of the solid settings. I am so amazed that you got it to work. I must be doing something wrong.

This is for the left eye particle playground, and as you can see the particles are traveling on, and past the mask. I have the same issue with the right eye PP and it's mask too. But, if I could get the left eye PP to work, I'll do the same setup for the right eye PP. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Oct 30, 2018 at 11:12:07 am

I think your Gravity is too high. I copied your settings and everything seemed to work until I cranked up the Gravity. Turn it down to 100 and see if that works.

Obviously that will change the speed of the particles falling, so you may need to find a work-around, but it appears to be a quirk of the plugin.

Return to posts index

Iz Rog
on Oct 30, 2018 at 8:10:57 pm

Now I'm back where I started with the gravity. The particles are floating all over the place, even on the mask. That's the reason why I turned the gravity up to 1200 so the particles can fall downward; looking as normal as possible. You mentioned that your mask is working? Could you take a screenshot of yours so I can see what I'm missing. Below is a screenshot of what mines look like now since the gravity adjustment.

How did you get yours to work?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]