FORUMS: list search recent posts

Switching from Mac to PC - Will there be issues with Ae?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filip Stillerska
Switching from Mac to PC - Will there be issues with Ae?
on Oct 28, 2018 at 3:22:48 pm

I'm completely switching over from Mac to PC - will there be any issues/problems that I have to look out for when it comes to Ae and all of my current project files? For example, are the After Effects-project files compatible/easily convertible across platforms?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Switching from Mac to PC - Will there be issues with Ae?
on Oct 29, 2018 at 5:10:00 pm

I switched last year. After Effects will work exactly the same. You will need to install PC versions of any plugins you may have used. Also, you may need to transfer fonts over if you used an unique fonts in your projects. Otherwise it is seamless opening on one or the other.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 29, 2018 at 8:12:32 pm

My studio is cross-platform -- some of us are on PCs, some of us are on Macs -- and we share files back and forth all the time.

There are two gotchas.

1) Using your pinky for Ctrl instead of your thumb for Cmd. This takes a little getting used to.

2) You can't render Apple ProRes on a PC (without a third-party workaround, like AfterCodecs). We usually use CineForm for our intermediates, as it's natively supported in Creative Cloud applications and it's cross-platform.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 30, 2018 at 3:00:08 am

Cntrl vs cmd: Sure enough, but the alt and option keys can also drive you nuts especially on keyboard models with the damn windows button that shifts the alt key (option on mac) over one. Just plug in a Mac keyboard to the PC and it solves that problem at least.
After years working on Macs, getting used to the pinky thing for cntrl on the PC seemed hard at first but now that I'm used to it and looking back, the cntrl way is the better way - to much finger crossing the Mac way. Its one of the few things that Microsoft got right before Apple did (or should I say before Xerox did)

The mouse moves differently on a PC too. The Mac implementation is elegant with a really good accel/decel. The PC feels a little molasses-like when you first get going on it. You do get used to it but I prefer the Mac for this.

The best part though about moving to PC (apart from building a kick*ss machine for 1/3 the cost of the equiv mac) is that you have a world of graphics cards at your finger tips now. Welcome to the Dark Side. That's not breathing you hear, its the fan trying to cool 24 cores!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]