FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjustment layer bug in CC 2018

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cabestany
Adjustment layer bug in CC 2018
on Oct 25, 2018 at 3:23:13 pm

I'm applying an adjustment layer with three effects, Simple Choker, Roughen Edges and Turbulent Displace at the top of the stack, above a bunch of shape layers. Only the one at the bottom is being affected, the remaining three, are left untouched. If I sort the layer order, whatever layer ends up in the bottom gets the effects applied, but the others don't.

I think is this a bug, unless anyone can tell me otherwise?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Adjustment layer bug in CC 2018
on Oct 25, 2018 at 3:27:03 pm

Adjustment layers do not apply their effects to all the layers below them; they apply effects to the composite of all the layers below them. It's similar to precomposing them and applying the effect to the comp.

If you want to apply the same set of effects to a bunch of layers, copy them from the first layer and use Paste with Property Links on the other layers. It will link the pasted effects to the original effect, so changing the values of the first effect will also change them on the others.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Oct 25, 2018 at 3:45:52 pm

Wow, never knew that, I thought it applied them to every layer below. Kind of a waste that it doesn't.
Yes, I ended up applying them to each layer separately with expressions.

Thanks Walter.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Oct 25, 2018 at 5:04:06 pm

Since the first two effects only affect the edges, so they don't do anything here unless you pump up the settings to go beyond the thickness of the bottom layer. Turbulent displace will affect the composite of layers, in the fashion it would if you had a single layer with that image on it.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]