FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use the Roto Brush tool to remove a foreground object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas Young
Use the Roto Brush tool to remove a foreground object
on Oct 24, 2018 at 11:41:07 pm

Hey guys

I have a few frames of a guy walking and swinging his arm, and I want to remove the arm from the background.
I've made a clean plate of the background behind his arms, and used the Roto Brush tool to create a matte. I've then inverted the matte and it looks like I'm almost there, except I need to increase the matte size somehow as there is still a faint fringe around the edge of where the arm used to be. But playing with the feather options and the Edge Refinement tool isn't helping. Can you suggest a way to do this?

Cheers :)

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Use the Roto Brush tool to remove a foreground object
on Oct 25, 2018 at 4:41:18 am

Couldn't you just dupe bg layer then mask and place at the front?

Maybe I'm missing something here?

Return to posts index

Lucas Young
on Oct 25, 2018 at 9:38:39 am

I have a clean plate I'm using and I could just animate a mask I guess it's only about 20 frames but I thought there would just be an easy way to expand the matte to get rid of that fringe ...

Return to posts index

richard mazikowski
on Oct 26, 2018 at 6:36:47 pm

Have you tried matte choker? Or perhaps use a negative number to expand the matte.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Oct 25, 2018 at 2:59:01 pm

You have a little more room to push it with shift edge, take back the feathering if you need to.

Not sure where your refine edges are, but the shift edge entry there hasn't been touched.

If its just 20 frames consider doing the roto again. I'd use standard roto for the arm and then edge refinement only along his body. Then for Roto Brush Matte (affects everything but the edge along the body) leave feathering at zero and Shift Edge until the arm is gone. Use the Refine Edge Matte controls (which should only affect the edge along the body) to get the blending correct for the scene.

Return to posts index

Lucas Young
on Oct 26, 2018 at 10:40:57 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys! In the end, I went with the erase tool with a feather and because it was only 20-odd frames it worked fine ☺

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]