FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you update to after effecs cc 2019?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Garabedain
Can you update to after effecs cc 2019?
on Oct 24, 2018 at 4:08:53 pm

I just had a chat with adobe support and they told me that because i do not have windows 10....that I cannot update ...now or possibly in the future...How can they get away with this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can you update to after effecs cc 2019?
on Oct 24, 2018 at 6:26:52 pm

Because you're RENTING the software, that's how they can get away with it!

You have nowhere to turn. Adobe has you by the short hairs. You've been assimilated by the Borg.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Oct 24, 2018 at 7:58:37 pm

We are only renting it because you cannot buy it. this seems like a scam sham to me

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 24, 2018 at 9:55:52 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 24, 2018 at 10:03:10 pm

Well, when you started renting you sort of gave up the ability to to influence Adobe's decisions in any significant way. Everybody did.

Before rental you could say, "I think I'll stick with the last version I bought for a year or two". No money for Adobe. Adobe had a motivation to stay on top of things MUCH more.

After rental you can say, "I think I'll stick with an earlier version"... but you're still paying them money. Where's the motivation for Adobe to stay on top of things like they used to? The money keeps rolling in no matter what they do.

And if you say, "Well, screw you, Adobe, I'm not paying", your software stops working after a month.
Software for which there is no really good substitute.

So you're forced to keep paying, Adobe can cross fewer t's and dot fewer i's and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

At home I have a PC running Win 7. Running AE CS 5.5. Haven't paid Adobe a dime in years. And CS 5.5 still does a lot of pretty darn cool things.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 24, 2018 at 10:31:39 pm

I posted a rant about this a few days ago (and got a bit of grief over it).

What I can't get anyone at Adobe to answer is "What new feature of AE relies on some unique feature of Win 10 in order to run?" In other words, couldn't all that 2019 is doing be done on Win 7? There doesn't seem to be a need for the new OS architecture, it's simply a moving-forward approach. The only answer I've been given so far has to do with Audio (riiiiight - for an image compositor? - and that's what we're focusing on?). And moving forward is fine, but do you really want to get on a plane whose engines haven't had much testing and have known issues?
Initially, I was told the Mac folks were in the same perforated boat - you had to go to Mojave. But I'm now told 2019 will still run on High Sierra. I'd be curious to know what the percentage of Mac to PC use is for Adobe given that Mac is less than 10 percent over all.

I don't have an issue with Adobe setting the pace of progress, but using an OS that still has some serious issues as the foundation of your brave new world seems a little short sighted at this point.
Windows NT hung around ( and is still around) for so long because it was a stable, or as stable as any Microsoft code can be, architecture for mission critical stuff. Win 7 is the new ubiquitous generation of that; testified by the lackluster adoption of Win 8 and the DOA Win 9.
While Win 10 just overtook Win7 as a percentage of installs (by less than a percentage point mind you. And I want that number qualified as I think it may include sales numbers that grades the curve - just try and buy a Win 7 these days), what isn't being considered is associated installed infrastructure - grafix cards that are compatible with both the OS and the apps that run, Network protocols for render farms, smart switches - even printers, and the drivers for all of the above. And then there's the overhead - seems that 2019 runs slower on Win 10 than the equivalent Win 7 machine and 2018. Has the disposability that permeates our consumer life now infiltrated our digital one?

I am happy staying where we are right now with 2018 on Win 7 (and we usually lag the current version anyway so we can avoid the tiger traps until they are known and possibly covered with a shaky patchwork of reeds), The real issue is that everyone is on this "have to have the latest" craze (thank you iPhone!) and with the auto update in CC difficult for the layman to get turned off (this goes double for Win 10) we have started getting files from clients we can't open because they are 2019 based, and many don't even realize they are no longer working on the version they thought they were. And we've started getting tech support questions because Win 10 has gone and updated itself and now some aspect of the clients apps no longer work. Perhaps the issue isn't the incessant updates, perhaps its an issue of giving the professional back control of his world.

With multiple software and hardware players that rely on each others apps and platforms continually upgrading willy nilly, with seemingly no cooperation or organization between them or forward looking plan (or perhaps its exactly the opposite - can you say "Collusion"? - of course you can, everyone can these days) its seems we're running downhill so fast we're going to stumble along the way. And right now, Win 10 looks like that tree root that snags the heroine in the horror movie. CEO's may ship, but nobody said the things that ship have to work (and so many things haven't through the years)

You've got to make the change at some point I agree, but to thumb your nose at (based on the installation statistics) half your base seems, well... rude. Funny how new advances in software seem to come along at the same pace as fiscal calendars. Wag that dog baby!
Now where did I put that copy of AE that works on Win 9?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 25, 2018 at 4:37:28 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 25, 2018 at 5:56:36 pm

[Steve Bentley] "I posted a rant about this a few days ago (and got a bit of grief over it)."

Really? I wonder why those same people don't jump all over me for MY rants?

As you may have discerned from the post above, I hold Adobe's way of:
1) doing business and
2) treating their users
in VERY low regard.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Oct 25, 2018 at 6:09:05 pm

As you know Dave, I'm in the canoe just behind you with CS6. But T think there are more that agree with you than you might think.

Which gives me the opportunity to ask "Why ISN'T there a serious competitor?"

I did some checking over at Affinity and although they've had requests to do an AE equal or better, it's not in the stars for the moment.

Is there some sort of proprietary or legal issues such as with Adobe script? All existing scripts & plugs would need to be compatible of course.

In this day & age, I'd think some young, ambitious soul would say "Hey, why not start a crowd sourced fund?" There are a lot of up&coming programmers out there and I'd be willing to bet you'd have millions in the first week.

Or this all may be simply sleep deprivation & wishful thinking.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 25, 2018 at 6:19:19 pm

Hey, I've been waiting and hoping for that day since those Geniuses In San Jose announced the all-rental model.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 25, 2018 at 8:33:35 pm

Hey Mark (and Dave), I suppose there are competitors (Inferno/Flame, Nuke, Fusion, Sabre etc. on the uber pro side, and Piranha, Natron, Shotcut... and is Shake still around?) but I've wondered this as well.
But more: Why some of the also-ran's haven't "caught"? Especially given that almost every 3D package has built their own compositor as another app to upsell their user base - even Blender! None of the of the ones attached to 3D ecosystems have been broadly accepted or successful. But why? Anybody remember Jaleo? It even had a timeline and didn't need to render!

I entertained the idea that AE's and Adobe's success where other's may have failed has to do with having an ecosystem that cross-pollinates the work with different apps in different disciplines , abut then remembered that, up until recently, those apps didn't play well together (and still don't - I'm looking at you InDesign! And, for the hundredth time - where's my Photoshop-type paint inside AE? Who makes a compositor without true paint?!!).

Ae is also the only one of the majors to not come out of production (ok, it did a little back in COSA days, but that's being generous). Sure it benefits from we soldiers in the field but it wasn't coded in the trenches, perfected and then released. And while we're on the subject, why has there never been a public version of Sabre? (oh wait, ILM is the only FX house really making money so they don't have to sell the secret sauce to stay afloat)

I also used to think that everyone of the majors came from and is still being developed by an FX house, except AE, instead being developed purely for capitalism, but then that's not true anymore either, Discreet products are no longer with their original parents (twice removed now), same goes for Fusion and to some extent Nuke. And we won't even talk about Shake's pass through the Apple press until it was a rotting core.

I have to wonder if rendering 2D might be a little harder to code than 3D, at least to get it looking professional on screen and therefore it doesn't get tackled as a project as much: or brick walls are encounter early in the development. In 3D with its infinite resolution you can always scale up in memory, render, then downsample to get rid of the artifacts and edges. 2D is limited to a degree by the finite resolution of the assets (except vector of course - but even then; try scaling a very small logo from AI in AE - you can't get very far).

The fact that we don't see a lot of others may be that the ecosystem around AE is so robust - it ties into 3D apps, has bagillions of plug ins (so many of them native), is frikkin easy to use, hooks into some editors nicely, is relatively cheap compared to others, and is fairly hackable. A prospective coder might look at all that and be daunted by the challenge. Or perhaps the field is actually saturated and we're just frustrated by Adobe's SOP. Look at what they did to Live Picture. Perhaps those coders that have attempted a competing product now share a room with Jimmie Hoffa.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 25, 2018 at 10:49:12 pm

Apple took a run at it with Motion. I think it's gone, too.

You might be right about the "AE's too big to fail" comparison. Which puts me in a bad mood. I was really hoping Blackmagic might give it a shot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 25, 2018 at 11:09:45 pm

BMD did give it a shot - by buying Fusion. One might hope however they start developing it too to make it better. They seem to have the chops given their rework of Davinci.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Oct 26, 2018 at 4:20:15 am

Now THAT'S something to ponder. I've had several BMD products over the years and can't praise enough.

I dabbled with Fusion & could probably warm to it but simply haven't had a driving need. I'm too "old dog / new tricks" bound with AE I guess.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 26, 2018 at 4:37:45 am

I'll be the first to say AE isn't the fastest tool in the shed, but I'll also be the first to say it's the most flexible (every new rev of adobe anything gets slower it seems - I'm waiting for a new app from them called "Molasses" - if the machines weren't keeping up with Moore's Law we'd be in real trouble. Is that the old code clogging the pipe? Poor memory management? Not utilizing a killer graphics card to the fullest? Not being able to stream line or multithread because the code has to be able to be sooo flexible? Probably all four.

But AE really is a swiss army knife. When you're working in Fusion or Nuke it's more of a real time experience (ok its not, but compared to AE either of these handle a few hundred element 6K comp with much more ease than AE. But I always find I end up looking sideways at the AE box, thinking, "You know, I could do that trick natively in AE because that effect is built in". I don't know how many times I've made an element in AE and then brought it in to Fusion because either Fusion doesn't have that kind of effect or its just can't do it or I don't have to preprocess 20 elements just to get a final element I can use.
Keep in mind too both Nuke and Fusion are more for a production pipeline where separate elements are handed to you, prematted, prepositioned, pretimed, prerendered, preroto'd etc, where as you can just precomp everything in AE to feed your outercomp combining element stack.
To each his own and the right tool for the right job and all that. but it does feel (especially in the speed area) like Adobe got lapped a long way back.
Oh, and again, where's my built in Paint Adobe?

Return to posts index

Mark Doctor
on Oct 27, 2018 at 9:07:17 am

I am always surprised that the AE community didn't split immediately after eliminating the CS series. I suspect it will take some time until more users will see the benefit of actually owning the software.

Especially when more and more users can not keep up the pass. Even worse, renting CC to see your own old projects, means that you don't own your projects or backups! CC being a ransomware taking hostage of your projects.

I guess and hope that the CS community will grow automatically and develop its own resources. This means that Adobe will be cannabalized by its own legacy, forcing them to create beter alternatives.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]