FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compatibility with (only slightly) older OS's

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bentley
Compatibility with (only slightly) older OS's
on Oct 21, 2018 at 2:55:01 am

Here's a blurb from the Adobe site. To me the first two sentences are not compatible. Which is it?

CC 2019 apps are available for Windows 7, Windows 10 or later, and macOS Sierra 10.12 or later. 2019 versions of Digital Video products require the newest versions of Windows 10 and macOS Sierra or later. Windows 8.1 or early Windows 10 versions are not supported.

Or is it a typo?

Is Microsoft now paying Adobe to insist that we upgrade a perfectly decent OS for one that isn't really ready for prime time (yet)? Is there some deep seeded reason that CC2019 won't run on Win 7? (or rather, couldn't be made compatible?)
I can see this backfiring.
"Sorry mate, if you want the latest Adobe product you'll have to upend your pipeline with new OS's all round".
"To heck with that! I'll stick with the version of CC I have thanks and no more revenue for Adobe"

Now, back when we all had to grin and bear the 64 bit changeover there was a good (although painfull) reason for upheaval . But this seems like a march forward purely for hype and revenue's sake. (Oh boy, the buttons are blue now!)

And to be clear, I'm not suggesting we stop time and just live in the Win 7 world forever. We have adopted Win10 in the shop in a few places but we're battling all sorts of inconsitencies and incompatibilites, so why oh why would we attempt rolling Win 10 into our Win7 production pipeline yet when it's the main money factory? and ticking along just dandy thank you very much!
The only reason this even came up is because a client sent us a file that came from their endlessly updating system, and because the code isn't yet dry in the file, it's only compatible with CC2019 and Win 10.
I realize there comes a point when you just have to make a change in order to move forward, but what is so earthshattering in CC2019 that needs the flakey goodness of Win 10? Don't tell me - a mouse or stylus is not required now? The entire interface is touch? Guess I better warm up my Gorilla Arm.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Compatibility with (only slightly) older OS's
on Oct 21, 2018 at 11:51:56 pm

If you can afford to, and if you can withstand the inevitable New Version Chaos, install CC2019 on a Win 7 machine and run the snot out of it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 22, 2018 at 12:17:53 am

Are you saying that 2019 is installable on Win 7? Adobe won't even let you have the link to the install exe if you show up at their doorstep looking through a Win 7 browser (of any flavor).
And CC updater just says "Sorry mate, you need to head on up to Win10 if you want a taste".
Even the demo won't come forth if you plead from a Win 7 box.

I know Win 7 is now years old now and long in the tooth, but I think of it like we all thought of NT. It was (and still is in some cases) the backbone of everything for sooo long that everyone had to keep writing for it. Win 8 was just a disaster and Win 9 was still-born so this blind adoption of Win 10 makes me think, given the track record, the OS probably needs to spend a little more time in the oven until it's well seasoned. I really don't need any new emojis.
Whoops, looks like Win 11 came out while I was typing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 22, 2018 at 1:44:25 am

Sorry, I had no clue CC 2017 won't download on Win 7. Well, I guess that answers one question.

I am ALWAYS gun shy about new versions. Let the other guy find the bugs is my motto. I'm still running CC2017 on my work machine. It has a lot to do with the tech heads at the Home Office -- the biggest owner of TV. stations on Planet Earth -- has not yet approved CC 2018 on company machines, to say nothing of this new stuff.

I guess I should keep my lip zipped.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 22, 2018 at 3:30:54 am

[Steve Bentley] "Is there some deep seeded reason that CC2019 won't run on Win 7?"

Most likely they've added features that are built in the later OSs. Like Dolby decoding. This is also happening with different pro softwares like Resolve. You can either get with the times or stay in the older versions of everything.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 22, 2018 at 8:08:40 am

Well, we have Resolve Studio (last Tuesday's upgrade in fact) and while the posted min support is Win 10 you can download, install and run it on Win 7 with a tweaked BMD codec set up. (you'll notice RS is still compatible with High Sierra while Adobe is forcing you to head to Mojave)

Are you saying we should upend our AE pipeline for film and video compositing (centered around images remember) for an audio feature only available on Win 10? If audio is taking priority in AE now does that mean the long awaited paint is right around the corner too? I'd upgrade to Win 10 for that!

I'm just being cranky. I'm still grumpy from Adobe's surprise codec gap in 2018 15.1. I realize why that had to happen but I would have prefered a heads up (or even accurate or non conflicting info on their site) so we could plan for it. Same goes for this change.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 22, 2018 at 10:16:04 am

I'm not responsible for your workflow. Neither is Adobe.

Return to posts index

Matthew Ross
on Oct 22, 2018 at 12:04:24 pm

[Steve Bentley] "To me the first two sentences are not compatible. Which is it?

CC 2019 apps are available for Windows 7, Windows 10 or later, and macOS Sierra 10.12 or later. 2019 versions of Digital Video products require the newest versions of Windows 10 and macOS Sierra or later. Windows 8.1 or early Windows 10 versions are not supported."

I think they worded it that way because some of the apps are compatible with Win 7 while others aren't. From what I've seen so far, Photoshop CC2019 is compatible, while the video apps (AE, Premiere) are not. So certainly not as clear as it should be. Maybe they should have worded it "some CC 2019 apps are available for Windows 7...[ect.]"

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 22, 2018 at 3:13:13 pm

Yeah, that page from which you are quoting links to a page detailing what OS's the DVA (Digital Video and Audio) apps can be installed on. Most of CC will run on Windows 7, but not the video apps.

To be honest, I quite like Windows 10 now (other than the hassle it is to prevent it from updating itself whenever it bleeding feels like it...)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]