FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to achieve such post it effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
laurent besseas
How to achieve such post it effect?
on Oct 20, 2018 at 3:26:41 pm

Hello, I'm a 3D artist and I'm wondering if this "post it" effect can be done in post prod or not.
Any advice to put me on the good track is welcome.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: How to achieve such post it effect?
on Oct 20, 2018 at 8:57:27 pm

If I was asked to do that I would do it entirely as 3D animation.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 20, 2018 at 11:53:59 pm

I would shoot it. With a camera. Given the information we now have, it seems like the best option.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 21, 2018 at 3:06:40 am

Let me know before you do that Dave, and I'll buy stock in 3M.

I'm with Kal on this one. You could attempt it in Particular inside AE but you woudn't get that little curl that always seems to define overlapping Post-its (TM). Particular particles are flat.
Tilting the particles (use a sprite or a layer as your particle) slightly might give you a shadow that would mimic the curl, or you could put a grad on your master particle that acts as a false shadow and gives the illusion that it or the layer above is curving - you would need two sets of particles source layers for this - the ones behind the front most layers would need the shadow grad illusion but the front convering ones would be more solid white.
You also could just let "real" shadows fall from an AE light and see what happens but I think it might ring a little - it's a fairly high frequency image and that might cause the shadows to be noisy.

You could do this with Element 3D though (inside AE). You could import a bunch of 3D objects in varios levels of curl and use the replicator to plaster the postits all over the scene and various 3D objects that you would import into Element too.
While this is very doable in Element, I don't find the interface as elegant as a standard 3D software package like Cinema or Maya. And I think you would have a better time with the noise and flexibility for tweaking in a true 3D package.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 21, 2018 at 7:06:27 am

[Dave LaRonde] "I would shoot it. With a camera. Given the information we now have, it seems like the best option."

If its a moving plate then yes I would shoot it first.
Then recreate all planar (planes) of surfaces affected then go to town in Maya.
There are paint effects in there that can act as square post its but of course, you'd have to spend a great deal of time finding the right attribute just to get that look.
Add camera tracking and voila you're done...

I am joking of course, but heck if you pay me enough I would accept the challenge ;)

Return to posts index

laurent besseas
on Oct 21, 2018 at 7:59:57 am

Ok, then it sounds like I'm back to true 3D process.
Shooting is not an option as I need to used the same effect for several scene.

Animation is a plus, but Still image will be better than nothing.

Thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]