FORUMS: list search recent posts

after effects render freezes on the same frame each time i try to render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Smith
after effects render freezes on the same frame each time i try to render
on Oct 17, 2018 at 11:17:03 pm

hello

i ran into a problem where my after effects project wont render after frame 25 and neither will media encoder, though i can preview it
i tried reinstalling after effects, changing the frame rate and turning off some effects and it still freezes at the same frame. please help!!!

effects that i used: rsmb, magic bullet looks, ae pixel sorter, motion tile, universe vhs, linear color key, warp, drop shadow.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: after effects render freezes on the same frame each time i try to render
on Oct 17, 2018 at 11:34:52 pm

What are your system specs? What's the resolution of your comp? Are you previewing at some resolution other than Full? Does anything special happen at frame 25 (new layers, effects, keyframes, values, etc.)? Have you tried turning off all effects and then turning them back on one at a time?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dan Smith
on Oct 17, 2018 at 11:47:31 pm

my system specs are amd a8-3820 apu with radeon hd graphics 2.50 ghz processor and 6 gb of ram
when i turn off all of my effects it still freezes at frame 25
yes i do, but i tried previewing it at full and it still freezes at frame 25? and after it freezrs at frame 25 i cant preview it again, even when i change my resolution and turn off all of my effects, so i have to restart after effects

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 18, 2018 at 2:36:33 am

You only have 6 gigs of RAM? Am I reading that correctly? You need 16 gigs of RAM for AE to work nicely.

So I have 2 recommendations:
1) GET MORE RAM!
2) Transcode mp4's to a good intermediate codec.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Oct 18, 2018 at 1:06:32 pm

Does it happen if you render starting at frame 26? I can speculate that there could be a corrupted frame causing some kind of problem.

Does it happen if you replace the source footage with something else?

Does it happen if you turn off ALL effects? You could then turn them back on one or two at a time to isolate the problem. I once ran into a problem caused by a demo 3rd party plug-in. The demo would render a limited amount of frames only . It was a borrowed machine and I was not aware that the plug-in was a demo.

One possible workaround is to render as an image-sequence. Frame 1 to 24, then 25 to whatever. Then render the image-sequence to whatever output you need.

Jim
Colorburst Video

Return to posts index

Dan Smith
on Oct 18, 2018 at 2:05:01 pm

no, it doesnt happen when i start at frame 26 but it does happen when i turn off all of the effects. ill just try and render it in 2 parts and then stitch them together

Return to posts index

Mark Doctor
on Oct 18, 2018 at 3:39:32 pm

Try this:

• Hold down Shift key and select "Edit > Preferences > General”

• If done right you will see a [Secret] section in After Effects Preferences at the bottom, select it.

-Select Disable layer cache
    -Set Purge every frame to a frame number smaller than the frame number your project crashes on <25

• "Edit > Preferences > Media & Disk Cache"

• Enable Disk Cache,
    -Maximum Disk Cache Size (royal) +16 GB
    -Select a SSD or second best a HDD with more free space than the the "Disk Cache Size". Not the "C drive preferabele"

optionally advise / last resort (I've read about it, but doubt the use of it) :

• "Edit > Preferences > Memory and multiprocessing" Ram reserved for other applications, leave only the minimum for AE, it will force the use of the Disk Cache instead the use of the RAM. stabiliti should improve

• I only once used this sort of trick with AE 5.5 and "virtual memory settings in windows".

Return to posts index

Dan Smith
    on Oct 18, 2018 at 7:00:42 pm

that didn't help ☹ though i noticed that it crashes somewhere inbetween frame 20-27 on every project that i create??

Return to posts index

Mark Doctor
    on Oct 21, 2018 at 7:11:31 pm

Can you make a screenshot from your memory usage when a crash occurs?

Greets Mark

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
    on Oct 22, 2018 at 8:23:23 am

Is that 16Gb GfX card ram or main computer ram?
    Do you have any reversing time in any of the clips that use RSMB? We've had some issues when scrubbing backward through the timeline; RSMB will cack and then be cranky for the render with what's still in cache. But usually going forward its fine.
    You didn't mention what codec your footage (if any) is in. Some codecs have, what amounts to, made up frames that rely on other frames in the sequence to have them resolve properly. Since AE works frame by frame this can upset it occasionally. As Dave mentioned (but not just for mp4s) transcode any codecs of this type in to something that AE can handle properly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]