FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple transitions on multiple backgrounds?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan North
Multiple transitions on multiple backgrounds?
on Oct 17, 2018 at 10:04:56 am

Hello fellow After Effects people

I'm doing a lot of different transitions with new backgrounds popping in and out, changing to new ones etc.

Right now my workflow is the following:

- Transition comp(with my black/white shapelayer anim)
- Background02 (TrkMat set to Alpha)
- Background01

And for the next transition have another transition comp or mask
Background 02
Background 01

If I have say 10 transitions, this can stack up pretty much and many of the backgrounds are the same that I dublicate.
Is there a smarter way to do this?

Any direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Dan

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Multiple transitions on multiple backgrounds?
on Oct 17, 2018 at 11:55:18 am

The basic answer is that editing is better accomplished in an editing software, where the footage can be laid out in a more linear fashion. Is there a reason you're not doing this in, say, Premiere?

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Dan North
on Oct 17, 2018 at 12:05:46 pm

Hi Kalleheikki

I'm doing lots of effects and animation in the same comp, så transitions are inbetween the various stuff.
So I thought it was easier perhaps to have it all in the same comp, since some of the animations are on top of something, that a transition change then reveal some new stuff etcetc. So it's very timed.
But I understand that a linear way would be much easier - maybe that is what I'm experiencing now - that it can be tough with many layers and transitions ☺

I haven't been using premiere or any other editing software.

Just thought if there was a better workflow in AE, then I could benefit from that.

Thanks a lot for your reply
Cheers, Dan

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Oct 17, 2018 at 1:27:51 pm

Precomping or prerendering, and using shy layers are pretty much the options you have to limit number of layers (or visible layers).
If you really want to keep everything in AE, you could have all your backgrounds in one (pre)comp at the bottom of the layer stack, and open that comp only when you need to adjust timing.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 17, 2018 at 1:30:49 pm

[Kalleheikki Kannisto] "The basic answer is that editing is better accomplished in an editing software"

Funny you say that cause when it comes to quick and cool looking transitions, I use FCPX due to the cheap plugins options out there.
Now again that's when it comes to quick and dirty.
Having the multiple layered pre-comps in After Effects can get daunting when updating in a rats nest :P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]