FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting lines to each points in a shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Torgersen
Connecting lines to each points in a shape
on Oct 15, 2018 at 6:25:53 pm

Hi,

very on/off with using AE so I probably are loosing the basics here. But I want to have 4 lines connected to each corner of a smaller rectangle while the other end of the line is fixed to each corner of a bigger rectangle. So when I move (or scale) the inner smaller rectangle the 4 lines follow.

I got stuck on the beam effect with some dots and lines tutorial but I couldn't manage to apply that to this project. I was going down a path of creating nulls for each point but I figured it must be an easier way of achieving this?

I added an image where the inner rectangle has 3 different positions just to show what Im aming for

thanks,
Morten

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Connecting lines to each points in a shape
on Oct 16, 2018 at 8:07:12 am

Since the inner rectangle is the one moving, you should need just four nulls, parented to the rectangle. Keep one end of the beam effect at the appropriate corner of the larger rectangle. You will likely need the following expression to convert the parented null's position to world coordinates for the position of other end of the beam. Change null layer name to reflect the actual names of you corner nulls for each beam.

L = thisComp.layer("null 1");
L.toWorld(L.anchorPoint)

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]