FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pixelation of vector layers, can't fix without messing up animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Comfort
Pixelation of vector layers, can't fix without messing up animation
on Oct 13, 2018 at 4:48:17 pm
Last Edited By Emily Comfort on Oct 13, 2018 at 4:51:30 pm

I'm working on a mograph video and I have a scene with two people shaking hands where I scale the people way up to create a fake zoom way in on their hands and then I return them to original size for the zoom out. The files imported for use are all .ai files, and I have "continuously rasterize" checked on EVERY vector layer. Despite this, the hands are very blurred when I have scaled the layers up.

I tried putting all the layers in a pre-comp and scaling the pre-comp, but the same thing happened (see pic 1). The only thing that seems to FIX the pixelation issue is to keep the pre-comp and turn on "collapse transformations," HOWEVER, when I do that, it's crisp but it fractures my layers and doesn't let my animation (puppet tool) come through the layer anymore (see pic 2). Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!
EC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Pixelation of vector layers, can't fix without messing up animation
on Oct 13, 2018 at 5:56:25 pm

If you have any Illustrator effects applied to your layers, get rid of them in Illustrator, re-import and try again.

Illustrator effects can mess things up in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
Re: Pixelation of vector layers, can't fix without messing up animation
on Oct 15, 2018 at 5:47:50 pm

You can't pre-comp and zoom in like that — when you pre-comp, you essentially lock the resolution, unless you Collapse Transformations, which breaks what you are doing.

If you want to zoom into the handshake, you have to do it in the handshake comp itself, so that you are affecting the individual vector layers directly.
1) Create a NULL OBJECT
2) Parent all AI layers you want to scale to the null
3) Scale the null

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
https://www.GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]