FORUMS: list search recent posts

RENDER FORMAT for professional delivery - AE - Windows Machine

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matteo Ferreccio
RENDER FORMAT for professional delivery - AE - Windows Machine
on Oct 12, 2018 at 5:56:52 pm

Hi everyone,
I'd like to seek professional advice regarding delivery format of a RENDER.

I just finished compositing & color grading a short film. It was shot on a DSLR, so .mov h264 is the shooting format, 1920x1080, 25fps.
I worked it heavily on post, real heavy (the final look is somewhat vintage damaged film, with heavy grain, and lots of compositing fixes).
I set up AE as 32bpc, sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (my monitor covers 100% sRGB but not more, no rec709).
I rendered it all as a PNG sequence, embedding the sRGB color profile.

PNG sequence seem to me retain all details and being the best possible MASTER RENDER format.

I have to deliver this "MASTER RENDER" to people who'll finalize it: they must include it on a Final Cut Pro sequence, and they asked me to deliver ProRes.

Since I work on a windows machine I can't encode ProRes, so it occurred to me I can deliver them DNxHD.

Point is, I am making a lot of assumptions while I'd like do be sure to deliver a format which doesn't f*** up contrast, gamma or color so they'll be able to include it in their Final Cut Pro without any alteration.

I'd sum all this up in a small set of questions:

[AE project settings: HD, 25fps, 32bpc, sRGB IEC61966-2.1]

1 - (AE) Is it right to render in PNG Sequence, 8bpc? Are other image format better (EXR, TIFF?...)
2 - (AE) Should I embed the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile, so they could be able to convert it if needed, say to rec709 without clippings and other problems?
3 - (AE, Quicktime Pro) Should I encode DNxHD from the MASTER RENDER Image Sequence and deliver them that, as a windows alternative tro ProRes?
4 - Should I follow a different plan altogether?

Thanks a lot, every bit of advice will be extremely appreciated.

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
Re: RENDER FORMAT for professional delivery - AE - Windows Machine
on Oct 12, 2018 at 6:53:29 pm

My 2 cents, from my experience with TV and film productions, is that you wand to preserve as much as you can and meet postproduction standards - DPX sequence.
Verify with the crew that you deliver to, but I’m 99% sure.
Export a DPX sequence for them. You can export a few frames for them to verify.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]