FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE 2018 One of the output modules could not be imported

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kazu Takeda
AE 2018 One of the output modules could not be imported
on Oct 12, 2018 at 1:13:04 am

I'm having the same problem as in this post:
https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=2&postid=104621...

I'm on a Macbook Pro (13", Early 2015) running High Sierra 10.13.6.

In AE 15.1.2 (Build 69), when I "Add to Render Queue", I get this error:
"After Effects: One of the output modules could not be imported. It has been reset to use the default settings for the selected file format."

The output module I have set as default (from AE 2017) is an H264 one. H264 isn't showing up in my Format Options:

If I "Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue" (ME 12.1.2 Build 69), I can export to H264.

Strangely, I did a test by installing AE 14.2.1.34. I get a much longer list of Format Options in AE 14:

I looked in Macintosh HD\Library\QuickTime, and here are the components I found in there:

What do I need to do to have H264 in my Format Options in AE 15.1.2?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE 2018 One of the output modules could not be imported
on Oct 12, 2018 at 3:02:57 am

Surprise! Adode dropped support of a great many Quicktime codecs! The last version to have them was CC 15.0.

Never mind that clients still specify the missing codecs and care not one bit why they're no longer supported...

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 12, 2018 at 7:40:29 am

Never mind that clients don't know that there is a valid reason for dropping the legacy codecs and they should probably move on to some modern ones.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 12, 2018 at 4:38:00 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Never mind that clients still specify the missing codecs and care not one bit why they're no longer supported..."

I understand that this has very quickly become our problem as content creators, but the story for how we ended up here is not quite what you'd think as a Creative Cloud user opening Ae v15.1 and getting a nasty surprise.

[Dave LaRonde] "Surprise! Adode dropped support of a great many Quicktime codecs! The last version to have them was CC 15.0."

_Apple_ dropped QuickTime.

The framework that developers use for handling Apple QuickTime movies on macOS, called QTKit, was deprecated by Apple years ago. The QuickTime for Windows framework was completely abandoned years ago. The new Apple framework that replaces it, AVFoundation, which runs on iOS and macOS only, offers no codec extensibility like QuickTime did via Components. AVFoundation supports H.264, H.265 (HEVC), JPEG, ProRes 422, and ProRes 4444, with no mechanism for third-party codecs.

Because QTKit was 32-bit and Apple never upgraded it, ALL apps on macOS will lose access to the old Apple QuickTime libraries -- and thus the old QuickTime codecs -- in the its next release, which will only allow 64-bit applications and libraries to run. Adobe dropping support for QuickTime now is necessary if there's to be any hope for the current release of Ae to run on the next release of macOS.

They're sure not perfect, but Adobe deserves some credit here. Adobe has written their own cross-platform framework, called MediaCore, to allow them to continue supporting QuickTime movies without relying on Apple's old frameworks. Adobe has further re-written their own support for a number of legacy QuickTime codecs from scratch that would be otherwise lost, including Animation and PNG.

See this document for more:
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/quicktime7-support-dropped.html

But to address the original post directly, I do not generally recommend .MOV-wrapped H.264. The old Apple QuickTime H.264 encoder was never very good, and H.264 MOVs are not as cross-platform-compatible as H.264 MP4s. The best options for H.264 out of Ae are either MP4-wrapped H.264 via Adobe Media Encoder, or ffmpeg-based MP4-wrapped H.264 directly out of Ae via AfterCodecs from aescripts.com.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]