FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why Does One Object Move Different Than Another With Same Settings?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cameron Dozier
Why Does One Object Move Different Than Another With Same Settings?
on Oct 11, 2018 at 4:39:29 pm

Hi

I have two objects moving in a simple way. They are two squares. They move from one place to another, and also change scale from 0 to 100. The start and end points for this position/scale animation, for each object, are synced.

THEN, after a few seconds, each object does a reverse move, back from the position it ended on in the first move, to it's first position of the composition. From 100 to 0 scale.

The first move works. Second move, one of the objects does a little dosie-doh, a little jerky jerky, before it starts it's move. The other object acts as it should.

I have made sure that the keyframes for each move are set to linear. For each move, the first position is set as Ease-out, and the second position is Ease-in. I have double checked that each animation has the keyframes set the same for each object. Like I said, both objects animate the way they should on the first move, then the second on, which is a reverse of the first one, just one of the objects moves in error before continuing the path it should.

This problem has plagued me in After Effects for a decade, and I've never had someone be able to explain why it actually happens. I guess they think it would go over my head, but if it is indeed not a bug, I would like to know why this is happening with this piece of software.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Why Does One Object Move Different Than Another With Same Settings?
on Oct 11, 2018 at 5:04:31 pm

On the incoming, ease-in keyframe, highlight it, then right-click Toggle Hold Keyframe. It will remain rock-steady until it encounters another outgoing keyframe and should animate as expected.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cameron Dozier
on Oct 11, 2018 at 5:11:08 pm

Ok thanks, good to know. I ended up doing a roundabout workaround that tricked After Effects into doing what I wanted by just copying the settings I needed to start/end on for the second move, manually, as apposed to copying the keyframes.

Now, I would love to hear the logic of this design choice. Why in god's name would it be default for After Effects to make your object move in the opposite direction that you are telling it to. Like, that is what Adobe wants to happen BEFORE you get the animation to work the way it was intended. Even with Linear selected....it just boggles my mind why some designer thought it would be a good idea for THAT to be the default....

I mean, who would want that as the default, as sadist? "Oh sweet some frustration and annoyance and another step I have to do while I'm working toward a deadline! Woooooooooooooooooh wheeeeeeeeeeee that was fuuuuuuuuuoohhhhhhuuuuuuuuuooooohhhhun! Yowsah!"

Something like that?

Thanks for the help brutha.

Thanks for nuttin' Adobe.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 11, 2018 at 6:37:30 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 11, 2018 at 6:43:30 pm

Hey, it's been that way since AE Version 3. Not that it's an excuse, but after a while you get used to it.

Oooh, oooh... you may also have to play with the Bezier path handle for your keyframes to get things moving the way you want.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 11, 2018 at 9:24:16 pm

[Cameron Dozier] "Now, I would love to hear the logic of this design choice. Why in god's name would it be default for After Effects to make your object move in the opposite direction that you are telling it to. Like, that is what Adobe wants to happen BEFORE you get the animation to work the way it was intended. Even with Linear selected....it just boggles my mind why some designer thought it would be a good idea for THAT to be the default...."

Position keyframes have two types of interpolation: temporal (time / timeline) and spatial (position / comp viewer). It sounds like your position property is using linear temporal interpolation and Bezier spatial interpolation (for curvier animation).

So why does it bend in the middle? Those two matching keyframes are identical, not just in position, but also on their Bezier tangents. Both keyframes have the same incoming and outgoing influences. The position HAS to be pulled back between them in order for Ae to honor the second keyframe's incoming influence handle -- otherwise it's not following the spatial Bezier curve as drawn.

The two workarounds are zeroing out the outgoing tangent on the first keyframe and the incoming tangent on the second, or using a Hold keyframe as Dave describes.

If you're using predominantly linear spatial animation, there's a general preference to "Default Spatial Interpolation to Linear" that you can enable.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]