FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't control active range of lights

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabe Blank
Can't control active range of lights
on Oct 9, 2018 at 7:09:49 pm

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with my lights in After Effects. I'm using them to light objects in Element 3D so the problem could be from either end. (I'm also posting this in Element forums, apologies for repeating.)

Long story short, when I create a light After Effects seems to arbitrarily decide when the light will be active. If I trim the layer in my timeline, After Effects might still show the light even when the layer is not active. And visa versa, if I have the layer active, After Effects might not show the light at all.

For obvious reasons, this is very frustrating.

Sometimes I can predict what After Effects is going to do after trouble shooting. Meaning I can tell AE is going to have a light disable 5 seconds after the layer ends, then I can shift it 5 seconds backwards in the timeline to time in properly. Obviously, this is not a real solution. Just another variable to consider.

Anyone have any idea what's up?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can't control active range of lights
on Oct 9, 2018 at 11:06:41 pm

It sounds like you're trimming up the light layer's in & out points. Don't. Or at least be made aware that trimming a light layer turns off the layer because it isn't there any more.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gabe Blank
on Oct 9, 2018 at 11:13:24 pm

I am very aware that trimming a light layer is *supposed* to disable it. That's the problem, After Effects doesn't recognize my trims and arbitrarily decides when to turn on/off the light layer.

For instance, when I trim a light layer it will stay on after the layer has long since ended. Or, it will randomly turn off even though the layer is still active.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 10, 2018 at 1:30:19 am

I think this is an Element 3D bug -- and we've seen it, too. Try creating a new comp and copy/pasting everything in there. (You'll need to reset any custom layers in Element.)

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Gabe Blank
on Oct 11, 2018 at 4:28:38 pm

I suppose it's comforting to know it's not just me. Hopefully the VC team will fix this soon.

In case it'll help you out, what I've ended up doing is creating lights that cover my entire timeline and using the intensity control alone to turn the light on/off. Never move the physical layer after placing. If you don't move the layer you won't get the bug and I always get the bug when I move the layer.

So far no problems using intensity.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 11, 2018 at 9:27:22 pm

[Gabe Blank] "In case it'll help you out, what I've ended up doing is creating lights that cover my entire timeline and using the intensity control alone to turn the light on/off. Never move the physical layer after placing. If you don't move the layer you won't get the bug and I always get the bug when I move the layer."

That's a great tip, thanks!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]