FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pre-rendering crops comp (involuntarily)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karin Knutsson
Pre-rendering crops comp (involuntarily)
on Oct 9, 2018 at 3:50:20 pm

Hello! I am trying to make a pre-render from a composition that is 960x2100 pixels. For some reason AE crops this and makes a .mov file that is only 960x2000 pixels. Does anyone have an idea why? In the render settings the size is set to 960x2100 pixels

Return to posts index

Karin Knutsson
Re: Pre-rendering crops comp (involuntarily)
on Oct 9, 2018 at 3:51:28 pm

By the way I am using CC 2014

Return to posts index

Karin Knutsson
on Oct 9, 2018 at 3:55:15 pm

The codec I was using is H.264, just realized this could be the reason. Is there a better option that will not resize the comp?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 9, 2018 at 5:07:08 pm

If you want a no-fail export, use a different codec. Try Quicktime's Animation codec. Then use Adobe Media Encoder to compress for final delivery.

By the way, what are your delivery specifications for this project?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Karin Knutsson
on Oct 9, 2018 at 5:43:52 pm

Thank you for your suggestion! Will try this. I am doing this as part of an own project (art exhibition) - the animation will be projected on a curtain about 4x2 meters in size

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 9, 2018 at 5:48:42 pm

QuickTime's H.264 encoder is limited to 2000 pixels. You should avoid it at all costs (use the MP4 H.264 encoder in AME instead) -- but you should especially avoid any flavor of H.264 for a pre-render, because you will incur generational loss [link].

[Karin Knutsson] "I am doing this as part of an own project (art exhibition) - the animation will be projected on a curtain about 4x2 meters in size"

The resolution that you deliver will be governed by the projection and playback system, so it's often helpful to start your production workflow with the end in mind. Do you know how you'll execute playback yet?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Karin Knutsson
on Oct 10, 2018 at 10:55:49 am

Hi Walter! Thanks for taking the time. I have not put so much thought into this, which has made me nervous about that I might need to redo all the animations last minute if they look bad in a large format. Was planning to use my laptop for this, it's an old Macbook pro (2011) and something like VLC media player? Would you recommend something else? The projector will be borrowed from a friend, have no specifications for this at the moment

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]