FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating changing background with trapcode particular and sound keys

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Lynn
Creating changing background with trapcode particular and sound keys
on Oct 7, 2018 at 1:32:39 pm

I made a background with sprites using trapcode particular, and I want it to change random seeds with the bass drum of a song. Here's the issue I'm having.

-The background changes twice with each bass drum hit. I have my sound key range set to an on/off trigger and an exponential decay set to 0 seconds, but I figure that since the bass range is up for a few milliseconds it's giving me too many "active" responses, so I need to figure out how to make it just produce one keyframe every time it's first activated. How can I do this? I'm guessing there's an expression out there somewhere.

-I can't get particular to freeze like I want it to. Between each background change some particles are produced, and I can't get it to freeze even when I apply time remapping and freeze frame to the actual layer with particular applied. It still goes as if there was no freeze frame. Funny enough, when I go to the main comp and try and freeze the layer with the sprites, it freezes.

Here's the project file on wetransfer, if anyone wants to take a look. https://we.tl/t-xRAmLcOI19
Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Creating changing background with trapcode particular and sound keys
on Oct 9, 2018 at 4:39:40 pm

So you want the entire background to be redrawn on a bass drum hit?

That would be something like this.

1) Emit all particles at once, during one frame, at the beginning of each second, with a life of 1/25 of a second. So, if you have a frame rate of 25 and want 25 particles, that would be 25x25 = 625particles per second. This way you will have a comp where the background changes every frame. Precomp that moving all attributes.

You might want to consider at this point how many different background you actually need. Every second of footage gives you 25 different backgrounds. I would settle for 100, which would be 4 seconds -- adjust precomp length accordingly.

2) Prerender that precomp. (You cannot time remap a Particular layer.)

3) Generate SoundKeys trigger output for your bass. Use 0-1 range and "instant" fall off.

4) Generate second output with same range with trigger set to 0-1 but with "none/integrate" fall-off. This way every bass hit will add to the previous value.

5) Time Remap the prerendered background footage layer. The following time remap code will use these two Soundkeys outputs but ignore cases where the output stays at 1 on consecutive frames. Also, if you've made the footage shorter, say 4 seconds, you will need an expression that gives you the modulus (remainder of division) of 4. That would be:

if(thisComp.layer("SoundKeys").effect("Sound Keys")("Output 1")==1){
n=time;
while (n<thisComp.duration){
if(thisComp.layer("SoundKeys").effect("Sound Keys")("Output 1").valueAtTime(n)==1)
{n+=thisComp.frameDuration
}else {
t=n;
break}
}
}
else(t = time);
(thisComp.layer("SoundKeys").effect("Sound Keys")("Output 2").valueAtTime(t)/25+.04)%4

Leave out the %4 if you don't need to circulate in the first four seconds.

---

Note: Time remapping a layer and then applying an effect to the same layer will NOT time remap the effect. The effect needs to be inside the time remapped precomp, not applied at the same level.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Tyler Lynn
on Oct 11, 2018 at 2:06:45 pm
Last Edited By Tyler Lynn on Oct 11, 2018 at 2:16:01 pm

Hi,
First of all, thanks SO much for the reply! I've been trying to do this for a week and finally I'm coming close. I did everything you said, but the background particles still change twice each bass hit, and the background reverts to frame 1 between each bass hit. Here's a link to the project file if you could take a look. "Main" is where I've been trying to put this together, and Sprites _4mov is layer I want to effect.
Thank you !

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i6ptS8EoHp-p23ClHZ6ftImZ_VA1Q_oW

As a sidenote, could I alternatively use soundkeys with a none/integrate falloff, then use an expression that ignores output of 1 on consecutive frames, then link that to particular's random seed? That way with each hit it counts up one random seed? To do that though, I think I'd also need to create a particular that has particles present at a given frame but doesn't produce any additional particles.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Oct 12, 2018 at 10:50:12 am

Hi, appears that the SoundKeys effect is not set up exactly in the described manner. The Output 1 and 2 ranges are not at the same exact coordinates and the output values not in the 0-1 range. If you fix those and update (click "Apply" in SoundKeys), you should get there.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Tyler Lynn
on Oct 13, 2018 at 1:33:37 pm

Hi, that did it. Thanks so much for the help! I almost cried when I saw it finally working.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]