FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing Stationary People From Moving Drone Shot?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Abrahams
Removing Stationary People From Moving Drone Shot?
on Oct 6, 2018 at 12:24:22 pm
Last Edited By Alex Abrahams on Oct 6, 2018 at 2:36:48 pm

Hey folks,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to remove the people from this shot, but I'm finding it a little tricky, so wondered if anyone might have some suggestions on how to solve it.

The stuff I've tried so far:

I've used Mocha Pro's removal tool, using a ground plane connected to a wall plane (even though there isn't one) and the image takes forever to remove and comes out with just chunks of the people missing. 12771_droneshot.mp4.zip

I've tried using the clone stamp tool pickwhipped to a tracker, but the areas I selected to mask over the people move about too much, and I have no idea how to move the masked areas around without it looking like total garbage.

The best results I had so far were from doing one person at a time, and just animating a basic mask with a copy of the footage underneath that was positioned in an area closest looking to the place where they are standing. This again has the movement problem, and I thought maybe a couple of masks layered might do the trick, but again it looked un-natural.

The inherent problems as I see them are, that the grass is moving around loads, so makes it difficult to select a matching region to replace with, and the fact that the people mainly don't move throughout the duration of the shot, so I have no way of making a clean plate to work with.

Most appreciative of any suggestions or questions you may have
Thanks

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Removing Stationary People From Moving Drone Shot?
on Oct 6, 2018 at 4:51:02 pm

Duplicate your footage and create a white layer on top of everything. Track one person and apply that track data to the white solid. Add a really soft mask on someone on the white solid. Set the duplicate footage to use the white solid as a track matte then offset the duplicate footage layer's position just enough that you're hiding the tracked person.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Oct 7, 2018 at 10:02:17 am

Alex,
You might consider posting this over at the Boris FX forum for Mocha as well.
https://forum.borisfx.com/c/mochapro

I suspect the wind blown grass is the real challenge.

Within this past year, someone had a really complex drone removal shot that Mary P. ended up doing a really detailed tutorial. As has been mention, it'll require multiple passes.

https://borisfx.com/videos/mocha-pro--solving-complex-object-removes/

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 7, 2018 at 9:25:36 pm

[Mark Whitney] "Within this past year, someone had a really complex drone removal shot that Mary P. ended up doing a really detailed tutorial. As has been mention, it'll require multiple passes.

https://borisfx.com/videos/mocha-pro--solving-complex-object-removes/
"

Oh that one's a classic!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]