FORUMS: list search recent posts

Expanding Dust / Logarithmic distortion (clip included)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Maus
Expanding Dust / Logarithmic distortion (clip included)
on Sep 27, 2018 at 4:58:12 pm

Hi there!

I am trying to animate a trace of dust left behind by a car, i.e. parts of the cloud of dust emerge, stay at position and enlarge contuinuously. This is what I got so far:

This is two layers of ever expanding hand drawn loops, plus one layer of particles.
As you can see this is a hand drawn animation, so the result should look hand made. I don't think the particle effect does fit that well.

I thought about moving a layer through a distorted comp, but this is where it gets tricky: Corner Pin distorts perspectively. I need some kind of logarithmical(?) distortion:

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Expanding Dust / Logarithmic distortion (clip included)
on Sep 27, 2018 at 5:53:52 pm

Are you using particular? If so you can use the "vary size over time" graph to give a curve to the expansion.

You could also use the mesh warp or even the reshape effect to get the exact kind of shape you need. The mesh warp nodes can be animated to "follow" the car so the shape is always relative to the car or it can lag so the plume passes through this warp. For the reshape effect its a little harder but helped by the fact that you can now control the node of each mask in AE>2017 so you can use expressions to keep those masks relative to the car.

FYI the corner pin effect is quite soft and I prefer the CCpower pin - its more flexible and is perfectly sharp.

Finally you could use the displacement map or Video Copilot's heat distortion plug in (I think it might be free) to create turbulence in the cloud. You could use another particular layer emitting spheres or cloudlets to generate a hidden layer these two effects reference to create the distortion. This hidden particular layer could be linked to the emission layer of the beauty particles (you may have to precompose the hidden particle layer and make it visible in the nested comp to allow it work with the effects.

Return to posts index

Roger Maus
Re: Expanding Dust / Logarithmic distortion (clip included)
on Sep 28, 2018 at 2:58:35 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for all the input!

CC Power Pin satisfied me, this appeared the quickest solution. It has the option to reduce the "perspectiveness", which was what I searched for.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]