FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Copilot Orb accidentally solves a huge problem in AE's 3D compositing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blaise Douros
Video Copilot Orb accidentally solves a huge problem in AE's 3D compositing
on Sep 24, 2018 at 4:38:55 pm

This isn't so much of a request for help as it is a reaction to what VC has (maybe without realizing it) done with their new free Orb plugin. My mind is kind of blown, so you can all tell me to calm down if you want, or if you all realized this without me pointing it out.

So, when building a 3D environment in AE, you have to rely on a number of tricks to create any kind of actual background environment--either linking to C4D, or placing a bunch of textured solids around the scene to create the illusion of physical surroundings.

Orb does two things: first, you can map textures to the outside of a sphere to create a planet. This is cool.

But more importantly, you can increase the size of the sphere, and toggle it to display the interior of the sphere. This is where things get useful--use a 360˚ environment map photo texture on the inside of the sphere, and BOOM. You have a 360˚ environmental backdrop, also sometimes called a skybox. Instantly. Follows your camera, reacts to lighting. And it's FAST; render times are super reasonable.

Am I the only one thinking that this could be incredibly useful for building scenes? And for FREE? Man.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Video Copilot Orb accidentally solves a huge problem in AE's 3D compositing
on Sep 24, 2018 at 6:09:38 pm

No, you're not the only one that noticed. That was almost more exciting than the other Orb capabilities to me too.

(Bye-bye Horizon...)

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Sep 24, 2018 at 6:47:31 pm

I mean, just for simple VFX shots alone, it could be a game-changer. Get your greenscreen footage, do a 3D camera track, pull the key, drop it into an Orb instance with an environment map, and you're in business. I've got to believe that it would be super useful for VFX previz-type scenarios, especially. Certainly for 3D motion graphics, it'll be a fantastic tool.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 24, 2018 at 7:42:31 pm

CC Environment does a lot of this -- but it's very exciting to have a nice, fast renderer that's responsive to lighting.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Sep 25, 2018 at 3:03:52 am

The Ray Traced 3D in After Effects has a native 360 environment layer, which can be HDR from a light probe, or other environment map, etc. You access it under the LAYERS menu:

The options for reflections are: ON, ONLY, OFF so you can use one for lighting, and another for just reflections, etc.

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
https://www.GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Sep 25, 2018 at 3:24:46 pm

Yeah, exactly--the Ray-Traced was the only option, and as we all know, it's sloooooooow. I'm just happy to have something that works quickly.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Sep 25, 2018 at 8:04:14 pm

i was using element 3d..but i Have moved away from such backgrounds recently as they dont pop enough

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Sep 26, 2018 at 7:31:06 am

It's fast if you have nVidia and CUDA cores — I actually use it for some things, mainly ray traced gold titles.

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
https://www.GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]