FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rotoscoping -- Next Frame Fills Entire Rotoscope?!?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Lino
Rotoscoping -- Next Frame Fills Entire Rotoscope?!?
on Sep 20, 2018 at 1:56:29 pm

Hello!

Still learning AE so bear with me...

So I'm rotoscoping my subject just fine, everything looks good frame to frame.... but after about 30 frames in this one clip, the next frame is one big rotoscope, filling the entire frame... and then all subsequent frames after that are the same. Just one big 1920x1080 roto square.

So I can hit Alt+Click for the negative brush tool and erase away the rotoscope, like normal... but it's now on every frame following my regular workflow -- a real chore.

I realize I probably screwed it up somehow and clicked some stuff before even working on the first frame...

So my question, is there an easy shortcut to "erase" the entire rotoscope from each frame?

Return to posts index

Jim Lino
Re: Rotoscoping -- Next Frame Fills Entire Rotoscope?!?
on Sep 20, 2018 at 2:12:47 pm

Deleted my work, started over from scratch.... and I'm still getting this issue. It does about 10 frames of the rotoscope, then on the following frame, the entire frame fills up as a single roto....

Like in this photo, everything is ok:

However, in the very next frame, I get this... notice the purple roto line fills the entire frame:

Am I just not moving it forward correctly?

thx for any help!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Sep 20, 2018 at 4:52:27 pm

Hard to see without seeing the keyframes for that mask. But the mask can only change its shape with a keyframe. So you can just delete that keyframe where it becomes a big square. However something else might be happening because you go from a mask with many points to a big square with only 4 points - which can cause issues. (I'm assuming this as I can't see that second image at any size - its not on the cow).
Is it possible you have two masks on that layer that are both magenta and the roto mask is offscreen somwhere or not selected and instead you are seeing that second mask that defaults to the image size?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Sep 20, 2018 at 4:56:23 pm

The Rotobrush isn't as intuitive as you might think. It only goes a few frames ahead before you have to set a new keyframe--what you're seeing is normal behavior for the tool. If you are trying to use it without some instruction, you need to pause, go look up a Rotobrush tutorial, and REALLY learn how the tool works.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Sep 20, 2018 at 7:32:21 pm

Also, you're going about this a really difficult way. Just use regular masks on the footage--make one for the van door, one for the guy's torso, and one for each arm, and you're done. The Rotobrush is overkill for your application--it looks like the same shot you've posted in another thread about masking in Premiere, right?

Return to posts index

Jim Lino
on Sep 20, 2018 at 8:10:19 pm

That's right, same shot, Blaise. Dave suggested I use rotoscoping with AE rather than masks with Premiere. And it's true, I'm a novice... but most videos just aren't thorough or communicable enough. (any suggestions?) The real knowledge is only given out in pieces. So I am watching them, for sure, Adobe stuff all day... but there's only so much you can do until you have to just dive in and do it yourself.

And for that extra little stuff, you gotta come to a place like this, right?

However, you're right. I was finally able to complete the shot with a little more patience. But not sure if it was a little due to my pc... although I got a i7700 cpu, 1070 gpu... seems like AE was a little sluggish at times.

I had to let the renderer catch up, basically.... there was a point where the roto tool was temporarily freezing AE.... I'd make a slight adjustment..... the window would go black.... I'd wait about 2 min... and the picture would come back and the roto brush would be live again.

After about an hour of this..... the system eventually caught up to me at a 1:1 speed. It then took no time at all to finish the roto.... what took me days of trying.... I did it in 12 minutes once the program "woke up" and let me do it.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Jim Lino
on Sep 20, 2018 at 8:12:41 pm

Also... figured out how to combat the giant roto box... in case anyone else has this issue...

Use the negative tool brush, start from the top of the frame, off-screen, and make a single line straight down. That's it... the roto will disappear.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Sep 20, 2018 at 9:23:40 pm

For the basics, the Lynda one is pretty good:

For a deeper dive, this one is very useful, starting at 2:30 after he talks about general stuff for a bit:

Glad you got done what you needed! For simple masks, you can probably get away with bezier masks like I previously described; rotoscoping doesn't necessarily require using the Rotobrush, and there are lots of times you don't need to.

Return to posts index

Jim Lino
on Sep 21, 2018 at 1:12:19 pm

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]