FORUMS: list search recent posts

For faster AE workflow and renders - Additional SSD or a better graphic card?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raag Raisinghani
For faster AE workflow and renders - Additional SSD or a better graphic card?
on Sep 19, 2018 at 5:32:21 pm

I was working on an ASUS G752VY since the past 2 years, here's the configuration -

Intel i7 2.7GHz
64GB RAM
512GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Nvidia GTX980M 8GB. This was working great for me while using Adobe After Effects by default.

I recently switched to the Dell Precision 7730 (the ASUS computer broke down) on this configuration -

Intel Core i9-8950HK, Six Core 2.90GHz, 4.80GHz Turbo, 12MB 45W
64GB RAM
1TB M.2 NvMe SSD
Intel HD GFX

And I feel After effects is being quite slow on the new system (Dell Precision) while previewing animations within the software and also while rendering through AE or through Media Encoder (H.264, Vimeo 1080p). There doesn't seem to be a huge difference between rendering the same animation on a 16gb Macbook Pro (2017) and on my 64GB Dell Precision 7730.

My question - Do I need to get an additional internal SSD for my new system OR an Nvidia graphic card for a faster workflow/render times in After effects and Media encoder?

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
Re: For faster AE workflow and renders - Additional SSD or a better graphic card?
on Sep 19, 2018 at 7:11:51 pm

Newer Adobe products are relying more and more on OpenCL, so a graphics cards with lots of GRAM and lots of cores will probably give you the biggest jump, as you already have SSD.

A GTX 1080ti with 11GB GRAM should satisfy most of what you need.

If you do get SSD, you want a PCIe SSD controller card for best performance.

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
https://www.GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: For faster AE workflow and renders - Additional SSD or a better graphic card?
on Sep 19, 2018 at 7:15:31 pm

Besides upgrading your GPU, you might consider using a render management system like RenderGarden to take advantage of more of your system resources during final renders:
https://www.mekajiki.com/rendergarden/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]