FORUMS: list search recent posts

Start Up Save As Script

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Rasche
Start Up Save As Script
on Sep 8, 2018 at 8:27:58 pm

Anyone got a script for the after effects startup folder which prompts you to "save as"?

If you start a new project it is called "untitled" and as far as I know saved nowhere. In order for auto save to work you have to save at least once.
Sometimes you forget to save and when ae crashes nothings is saved. A little prompt at the beginning of a new project would be cool.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Start Up Save As Script
on Sep 11, 2018 at 2:46:49 am

Well, welcome to real life! Save your stinkin' projects! You'll get no compassion here!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sebastian Rasche
on Sep 11, 2018 at 9:43:16 am

Nobody asked for compassion Dave. I usually save my client projects accurately. But sometimes you doodle around in after effects and forget to save. That's where a little startup script would come in handy. Thought somebody knew something.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 11, 2018 at 9:43:09 am

Dave is right that saving is a good habit to get into. Discipline is important. But for a more compassionate answer, here's a simple one-line script that you can use:

app.project.saveWithDialog();

Copy and paste that code into a text file, save it as "saveAs.jsx" or similar, and put it in your startup folder. Ae will prompt you on every startup to save the blank file it creates.

One very important note: this happens at the initial application startup only. If you use File > New > New Project, there will be NO reminder to save.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Sebastian Rasche
on Sep 11, 2018 at 9:52:31 am

Thank you very much Walter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved