FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blending Mode not working when enabling Track Matte

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nailuj Cequeña
Blending Mode not working when enabling Track Matte
on Sep 8, 2018 at 6:44:04 pm

I have a layer (PNG Sequence) and I am trying to put on top of that another layer (Solid) so I can use it as a shadow. I set the Solid layer to Multiply and it affects the PNG Sequence layer below it. But I wanted to set the Solid layer as a Track Matte while retaining the blending mode. Unfortunately, when I set it to Alpha Matte the blending mode disappear.

Is there a way to use a layer as a track matte with blending mode enabled?

Julian
Motion Designer | 2D Animator
Check out my Showreel

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Blending Mode not working when enabling Track Matte
on Sep 10, 2018 at 5:34:57 pm

I want to check what you are saying in your post: It sounds like you want to use the png as a shadow and place it over your solid, but then you say you put the solid on top and use multiply. So something's not clear.

Do you want the solid to act as the color of the shadow and then use the shadow element's alpha act as a window to pass the solid through? If so the solid should be above the main element and below the shadow element with the alpha. The solid's blend mode can be multiply and have a track matte passing the solid through the matte of the shadow element.
Or
If you want the shadow element to be the shadow on top of the solid, then the shadow element should have the multiply blend mode and not the solid.
Keep in mind that some blend modes don't work correctly when there is nothing below them. So if you have an alpha'd element that is using a screen or multiply blend mode, and there are no layers below that, (even though you might have a light colored comp) it may not look right because there is no other layer to do the math on.

The other thing this might be is that you need two versions of the alpha element. One that is visible and one that is acting as a track matte.
You can have a layer act as a track matte AND still have that layer turned on with a blend mode other than normal. However keep in mind that the alpha will allow that layer to step on whatever is passing through the alpha because the layer with the alpha is on top.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]