FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use layer as UV won't fit in Element 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felipe Prado
Use layer as UV won't fit in Element 3D
on Sep 4, 2018 at 4:28:27 pm

Hey!

So I have an image that is 286x395 I which I want to extrude in ELEMENT 3D.

So I did an auto trace of that image inside after effects so I could get it's mask to use in element, great, I Extruded it it worked perfectly, in a comp 1920x1080.

Now with the image that is 286x395 in which I used to extrude, I put it into after effects, center it perfectly, added a white BG to it in a 1920x1080 background, so now I have the texture map in the center of a image that is 1920x1080, when I put it in after effects and compare, it fits perfectly on top of the extruded layer.

But once I hit "Use Layer as UV" the layer simply gets distorted and that is it, I tried a lot of stuff and googled a lot, the only way I manage to make it work is through manually mapping it, but it's a lot of time, I really need to speed this up!

Here's the PNG image I am using:

Here is the same image but in a 1920x1080 bg to use as a Texture Map

This is the extruded model WITHOUT the "Use Layer as UV" but with the texture map

This is the extruded model WITH the "Use Layer as UV" but with the texture map

Any clues? I am clueless!

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Use layer as UV won't fit in Element 3D
on Sep 4, 2018 at 5:41:50 pm

Well, it's not vector so you'll have to fake the extrusion. You can use Auto Trace on the PNG to make the mask, then convert the mask to a shape... which can then be extruded.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Felipe Prado
on Sep 4, 2018 at 5:46:45 pm

Hey Dave!

Well my issue actually isn't with the extrude but with the texture uv map, I can only make it work by manually positioning the UV map

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 4, 2018 at 6:22:51 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 4, 2018 at 6:23:50 pm

Have you tried parenting the extrusion to the PNG made into a 3D layer? In other words, forget about the UV and go with Plan B.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Felipe Prado
on Sep 4, 2018 at 6:41:23 pm

Oh! Never thought about that plan B! I am going to try it out, I let you know!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Sep 4, 2018 at 9:07:04 pm

Box texture mapping will map that correctly without any need to add any background or adjust UV tiling settings. There's a problem, however, with your PNG texture map which is that it has extra image information outside the image itself, i.e. transparent pixels at the edges, which make the image shrink and have a black border around it when applied as a texture in Element. So you need to remove the extra transparent edges, in Photoshop, by trimming off transparent pixels, before bringing it into AE.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]