FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stationary Echo Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy baumgartner
Stationary Echo Effect
on Aug 31, 2018 at 7:45:32 pm
Last Edited By andy baumgartner on Aug 31, 2018 at 7:46:51 pm

Hi, I would like to create an effect similar to "echo" but instead of animated echos, each echo would be a freeze frame. The effect would take a rectangle and produce a trail of rectangles, with another being "dropped behind" ever few frames.

There are too many echos to do it manually.

Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Thanks!

-Andy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Stationary Echo Effect
on Sep 1, 2018 at 3:47:29 am

You need to give us more information about what you're doing. We just don't have enough. Sorry.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

andy baumgartner
on Sep 4, 2018 at 6:42:03 pm

Hey Dave, sorry, I'll try to explain it another way.

I have a mask I exported from Cinema 4D. In aftereffects I'd like to show the existing animated mask, and ever second or so have a stationary copy added, so it leaves a kind of trail behind.

I am animating a satellite collecting tiles at it travels around earth. The mask represents the shape of the tile (a rectangle intersecting with the earth). Every second or so a new photograph is taken. The stationary copy's of the mask will represent these tile snapshots.

It seems like aftereffects may not have this functionality and I should just create it in 3D. It would be nice to do in aftereffects because it's easier to experiment there though.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 4, 2018 at 6:27:41 pm

If you're just trying to drop rectangles, there are a number of ways to do it. Any of several particle effects would do it pretty easily.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

andy baumgartner
on Sep 4, 2018 at 6:48:44 pm

Hey Michael, I am animating the field of view of a satellite as it rotates around the earth in Cinema 4D, so the shape is constantly changing (as the satellite comes around the earth sphere the rectangular field of view it projects on the earth is very oblique with respect to the stationary scene camera, then it gets more like a rectangle as it comes around.)

I should have mentioned it is footage from Cinema 4D, not a simple rectangle.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Sep 5, 2018 at 10:25:46 am

I would try and do this with a sub-comp at 1 fps with the echo effect on top of your main footage at original fps.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

andy baumgartner
on Sep 6, 2018 at 12:55:24 am

Thanks Kalleheikki. I'll keep that in mind next time a do a similar shot.

Return to posts index

andy baumgartner
on Sep 6, 2018 at 12:52:43 am

Here is the effect I was trying to create for reference. I ended up doing it in Cinema 4D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]