FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preserve layer size on pre-compose?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Kimberly
Preserve layer size on pre-compose?
on Aug 31, 2018 at 12:04:30 pm

Ive seen this posted several times, but nothing really recently.

Im running AE CS5. I am watching a youtube tutorial from 2017 and at one point the author grabs a layer that is 200px wide and pre-composes it and moves all the attributes. His new pre-compose layer is 200px wide.

Whenever I try to do the same, my pre-compose layer becomes the size of the entire composition (1920x1080).

Is there still no way of keeping the layer size during a pre-compose? Am I missing a setting or something?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Preserve layer size on pre-compose?
on Aug 31, 2018 at 5:30:10 pm

I'd be curious to see the tutorial you reference, because what you're describing shouldn't be happening.

"Leave all attributes" should preserve the layer size. "Move all attributes" will make a precomp that's the same size as the containing comp, though you could resize/reposition this after the fact.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Scott Kimberly
Re: Preserve layer size on pre-compose?
on Sep 1, 2018 at 12:34:26 pm

Walter, thank you for your reply!

This is the tutorial I'm watching:

At around 10:50, he pre-composes the layer and moves all attributes. This behaves the way you are saying (doesnt change the size).

However, right after that he clicks the "Collapse transformation" star on that layer, and THAT is what resizes his layer. I tried doing the same on mine, but it didnt seem to do anything so maybe I'm not using that part correctly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]