FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Position Changing Every Time New Layer Is Added?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bradley Kus
Camera Position Changing Every Time New Layer Is Added?
on Aug 28, 2018 at 7:33:38 pm

I've run into this issue before and I'm hoping all you smart people out there can help me. Any time I'm working with a camera in AE, I typically pair it to a Null Object - pretty common. In this scenario, I have a wiggle expression on the null object's position and orientation. Whenever I add a new layer, whether it's an adjustment layer, text layer, etc., it changes the values of three dimensions (X, Y, and Z) ever so slightly. If you open the screenshots below, you'll notice that everything is exactly the same, but the only difference is that I added a new layer into the composition (not pictured) in the second screenshot, and the values changed by themselves (for example the X orientation when from 6.4 to 2.8).

Why is it doing this and is there a way to stop this? This also happens when I simply move layers below the Null Object. Open up these two links and compare the images side by side to see what I mean.

https://i1.creativecow.net/u/324897/image_20180828193036_1.png

https://i1.creativecow.net/u/324897/image_20180828193124_1.png

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Camera Position Changing Every Time New Layer Is Added?
on Aug 28, 2018 at 9:43:20 pm

The seed for the random number generator is based on the layer number, so when you add layers above your wiggling layer, the random number sequence wiggle() is using changes.

To work around this, you can manually set the random seed with an expression like this:

seedRandom(1, true);
wiggle(frequency, amplitude);

Change the "1" in seedRandom() to different numbers on different layers when you need variety (i.e., different random results), and obviously use your own wiggle() line however makes sense for your comp.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Bradley Kus
Re: Camera Position Changing Every Time New Layer Is Added?
on Aug 28, 2018 at 11:05:10 pm

Thank you man!! Great explanation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]