FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to After Effects, need some simple work

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Muneeb Maeen
New to After Effects, need some simple work
on Aug 27, 2018 at 7:08:53 pm

I am new to After Effects and want to go in for Motion Graphics. I understand the whole technical concept of animation, Video, Motion Graphics, VFX, Composting very well (for a beginner) but I find Motion graphics much easy than the rest of the fields. I already know Illustrator, Photoshop and Premier Pro very well, but not C4D yet.

The problem is, I am new and have no professional experience and no jobs. I want to freelance but committing to start a freelance career with the effort it deserves is not possible for me bcoz I am also doing my PhD in Molecular Biology so I have to spend most of my energy to my PhD. I want to do small jobs like, lower thirds, template editing, titles, simple motion graphics, etc.... but only part time and on weekends. I can work 15-20 hours a week. But I don't know where to start from. My goal is to earn just enough money to support my PhD, which is 400-500$ Per month.

Can anyone plz guide me. All the freelancing sites like upwork, fiverr, People per Hour etc require a lot of time, energy and effort for newcomers. If anyone of you can help me I will be grateful.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Simeon in 't Veld
Re: New to After Effects, need some simple work
on Aug 29, 2018 at 9:44:21 pm

I would start to get an account at digital tutors.com or lynda.com to lear things in a proper and orderly fashion. This goes much faster that through Youtube and is in my opinion a very worth it investment.

One approach is to just get started. Make a website. show some fancy graphics/make a showreel (show what you got!) And contact different agencies/bureaus and companies and just bluntly ask if they could use an extra hand for small animation stuff etc. Let the world know you're doing this and work will come. Get as much people in your network as you can and work will come.

Another thing you can do is create many stock elements/after effects templates. Make them as original and high quality as you can and upload these to stock agencies such as envato,shutterstock and blackbox. Here you can sell your asest. And the good part is since it is digital, if you make something good you may sell it many times. (TIP: VJ elements/loops tend to work well.)

Good luck with both animating/creating and with your PhD!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
Re: New to After Effects, need some simple work
on Sep 8, 2018 at 2:50:56 am

I think you might be underestimating how much there is too the field of motion graphics. And just understanding something doesn't mean you can do it--just like a professional movie critic probably couldn't make a hit movie because they are two different things. Think of trying to be a clay sculpture but you never really touch much clay, but understand how it is done; you need to get dirty and going through the motion of creating, and finding what really works in all sorts of unexpected contexts. Basically it takes experience like anything else in life.

As a motion designer, you don't just animate graphics, you can be called on to do all sorts of motion endeavors--you are often the Swiss army knife of post-production.

This is tough love, but just how you are talking about things is unrealistic. You need to put as much energy and passion as you are in your Phd (time) if you want to be a successful motion designer. If you don't, you probably are going to create unprofessional work and have mad clients. Motion design as an industry has a moving ground--you need to keep up with all the changes occurring or you get left behind pretty quickly. That takes time into itself.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]