FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time remap

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hristo Hristov
Time remap
on Aug 24, 2018 at 6:57:21 pm

Hi,
I am new to AE and basically what I'm trying to do is to slow down my footage before freezing it. I can do the freeze frame but I can't seem to figure out how to slow few of the frames before it actually freezes,
thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Time remap
on Aug 24, 2018 at 7:22:51 pm

Keyframe your time-remapping, then use the graph editor to adjust the curve to ease into the final freeze frame.

See here for the idea:
AE Basics 12: Animation 2 - Easing Keyframes
https://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/AE-Basics-12-Animation-2/1

AE Basics - A Creative COW series for new users of Adobe After Effects. Lesson 12: In this second tutorial on the process of animation in After Effects, Andrew Devis explains how to make your animations look far better through the process of adding the appearance of weight to your assets. This is done through a change to your keyframes called 'easing,' which causes the keyframes to change their default behaviour to give much more realistic and real world animation. As well as showing how to add easing to your animation, Andrew also introduces the graph editor to show how to change the values of eased keyframes.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 24, 2018 at 7:27:35 pm

Right click the footage and choose Time/Enable time remapping.
This will put a keyframe at the beginning and end of the footage, representing the first and last frame. Goto the frame where you want the slowdown to start and add another keyframe. Then drag the end keyframe out to where you really want the clip to end. You can also now extent the layer out to that point or there will be nothing to see - make sure to make your comp long enough.
In the curve editor you can alter the way the new speed eases into being.

This may not be the best, depending on the footage (but it is the fastest) as it won't give you those inbetween frames that weren't there to begin with. For that you need the Time Warp effect which you can choose "Source Frame " and Pixel motion for how it interpolates and that will make up frames that weren't there that are needed in the slow down. Use same idea as the Enable Time remapping; tell the SourceFrame keyframes what frame of the clip you want to appear at what time.
You can also use third party plugins like Twixter.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 24, 2018 at 7:39:57 pm

[Steve Bentley] "This may not be the best, depending on the footage (but it is the fastest) as it won't give you those inbetween frames that weren't there to begin with"

Time-remapping can do interpolation, too. There are three kinds:
- Off: skips or duplicates frames as necessary
- Frame blend: a time-weighted average of the pixels from the two adjacent frames
- Pixel Motion: use motion estimation to generate new in-between frames based on the movement of pixels from one frame to the next

You can either set them by toggling the frame blending switch in the timeline, or through the Layer > Frame Blending menu. (Note that you'll have to enable Frame Blending for the comp viewer to preview!)

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 24, 2018 at 7:51:42 pm

Thanks Walter, quite right (old habits die hard).
Here's something I hadn't noticed before. I have a QT movie that was rendered out of AE. The work area spanned frame 2000 to frame 3000.
If I bring that movie back into AE and let it generate its own comp, that comp starts at frame 2000. If I change that so that the comp starts at 0, when I engage time remap, the first keyframe's value is 2000 even though the keyframe is sitting at time 0.
I don't remember QT having a frame number memory. And I can't believe I've not noticed this before.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]