FORUMS: list search recent posts

Different ways to arrange layers when using animation and filmed footage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Korangy
Different ways to arrange layers when using animation and filmed footage?
on Aug 23, 2018 at 8:43:19 pm

Hi guys,
I'm working on doing some animated music theory tutorial videos and I'm a little stuck.
My hope is that I can have some footage of my hands over a table shot from above, and what I want is a layer where I can place notes and drawn lines- an animated layer. Is there a way I can make the notes and drawn lines be blocked out when my hand goes over them? So basically the animation is showing above the background wall/table but beneath the movement of the hands.
Can this be done without a green screen or masking techniques or would that be the only way?
Any advice much appreciated,
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Different ways to arrange layers when using animation and filmed footage?
on Aug 23, 2018 at 9:09:45 pm

If the table is a solid color of any kind that's different enough from your hands, it might be able to be keyed. Green or blue are the best since they don't contain any red (digital video uses red, blue, and green in various amounts blended together to create all of the colors and most human skin is mostly red-dominant).

That said, if the table is pure white, you might be able to pull a luminance key, but that's...tough.

Reminder, you don't need some special "green screen" technology. Just get a very saturated (in color, not in wetness 😉) green cloth, make sure there are NO wrinkles, and light it evenly.

The only way to cut something out besides chroma keying, luminance keying, or masks, is something called a difference key, but for that to work well, you need a fairly high end camera and really nice lighting. So, if there's no budget for a green cloth, your camera probably isn't going to capture a high enough amount of color to make it effective.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]