FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Colour Edge" or "Edge Extend" tool in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john smith
"Colour Edge" or "Edge Extend" tool in After Effects
on Aug 21, 2018 at 11:39:11 am

Hi everyone!

I've been watching Hugo Guerra's great VFX tutorials on his youtube channel (please support!). His tutorials are for Nuke but I wanted to know if there was a similar technique for AE. He uses a tool called "Colour Edge" (also known as Edge Extend) to clean up chroma key edges. I was wondering if there was a similar tool for AE. Does anyone know? Even if it's an outside plugin, this tool seems to be very useful. Here is the tutorial:

Starts here:

Continues here:

There is another similar tool in Nuke:
http://johannesmasanz.com/2014/12/nuke-edge-extend/

Again if we can find it's counterpart in AE that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: "Colour Edge" or "Edge Extend" tool in After Effects
on Aug 21, 2018 at 2:56:18 pm

There is the simple choker and the matte choker but what will probably help first is in your Keylight go to view screen matte. then go down tgo screen matte and play with the clip black and white settings. these are the finer controls you have been looking for

Return to posts index

john smith
on Aug 21, 2018 at 4:21:35 pm

Thanks for your reply Richard. Unfortunately this isn't what I need. I am aware of the simple and matte chocker, and the keylight capabilities. What I need is an Edge Extend tool that duplicates the pixels outward - not the matte. Please look at the tutorials to see what the tool does.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Aug 21, 2018 at 10:16:39 pm

The links you posted are long...with no start here: We cant tell what the tutorials are trying to do..

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Aug 21, 2018 at 10:20:14 pm

Okay so i did look it up because its a slow day..It is a impressive effect.... this video explains what it does...It essentially is a negative simple choker that also clone brushes the outer most layer of pixels... I cant think of what could reproduce it for after effects

http://johannesmasanz.com/2014/12/nuke-edge-extend/

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 22, 2018 at 2:20:26 am

This would also be handy for creating already matted elements (or elements that are on a keyable color or white or black) where we then need to use a Straight alpha with. Straight needs the color elements to extend outside the matte area and then the alpha cleans up the edge.

I'm curious how this effect came to be in Nuke. Given the example in the video, is it perhaps a testament to the native keyer in nuke that it doesn't do soft edges very well? It seems to me that this process should be part of the keyers job. (the software not the person)

Ok, back to being contructive: We've done this with trapcode's shine. Its not perfect but it can do the trick depending on the shot.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 22, 2018 at 9:31:59 am

[john smith] "Again if we can find it's counterpart in AE that would be awesome!"

Before Flame got a similar effect several years back (called Pixel Spread). Prior to that, Flame artists had been extending edges outward by using the third party tool Sapphire Distort, with the Fine box checked.

Sapphire is also available for Ae, so you can use the same trick.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

john smith
on Aug 22, 2018 at 11:11:54 am

Thank you Walter! I'll definitely try the Sapphire Distort and see how it works. Sorry about the links Richard, I wrote the time stamp but I guess it didn't translate. The timing for Hugo's videos are: 18:25 for the first and 18:10 for the second.

Return to posts index

john smith
on Aug 22, 2018 at 12:49:10 pm

Hey Walter,

I downloaded a trial of Sapphire's Distort to check it out but I can't seem to extend the edges. When I play with the settings it distorts the entire image. Is there a blog post or tutorial you can direct me to showing how Flame artists used the effect?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 22, 2018 at 1:48:12 pm

[john smith] "I downloaded a trial of Sapphire's Distort to check it out but I can't seem to extend the edges. When I play with the settings it distorts the entire image."

Yes, S_Distort will distort everything. You'd have to comp it together with a non-distorted layer for edge extension.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Aug 22, 2018 at 3:06:38 pm

So i've been playing around...What about Refine Hard Matte effect...if you put the shift edge to 100...increase the decontamination and then feather it a bit you get a pretty similar result then you can add a matte choker to refine your edges

Return to posts index

john smith
on Aug 22, 2018 at 4:44:01 pm

Actually that worked pretty well Richard! I found it easier to work with than the sapphire plug in (it's also free). In general the only problem I found was that the pixels are not only extended outwards but also a little in. Other than that it works well. Here is an image with and without the effect. If anyone discovers a better technique please let us know!

Return to posts index

john smith
on Aug 22, 2018 at 4:44:25 pm

Thank you Richard!

Return to posts index

john smith
on Aug 22, 2018 at 4:56:01 pm

by the way I ended up adding this effect to the main comp, extending the edges, and then using the alpha of the clean comp (without the effect)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]