FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use different effects in text animator

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Warren
Use different effects in text animator
on Aug 20, 2018 at 9:37:31 pm

Is there a way to add effects or parameters that aren't the presets in the 'Add' menu in a text animator?

In this specific project, I'm trying to add the turbulent displace effect. I can make it work by applying the effect to the whole layer, but I think it would look much better if the displacement would end as each letter fall in place. Instead of the first letters still being displaced as the rest of the letter fall into place.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Use different effects in text animator
on Aug 22, 2018 at 9:46:56 am

[Daniel Warren] "Is there a way to add effects or parameters that aren't the presets in the 'Add' menu in a text animator?"

Unfortunately not. Text animators work on specific, intrinsic properties only.

Can you share an example of what you're trying to achieve? There might be other ways to get the same effect.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Aug 22, 2018 at 10:27:33 am

The brute force approach would be to have each letter in their own layer with its own turbulent displacement settings applied.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Daniel Warren
on Aug 22, 2018 at 4:14:31 pm

This is the tutorial I was using to create the effect I was going for. I knew I could do a similar effect without the plug in with the text animator, except for the distort.

Unfortunately I have about 5 lines of text that need this effect, and I really don't want to deal with doing a separate layer per letter.

I sent the version I did off and he was happy with it even though the distort was over the whole thing and not by letter. It wouldn't let me upload it here for some reason... So I will just go with that, since there doesn't seem to be an easy quick way to do what I was hoping for. And I'm in a bit of a time crunch.

Thanks for your responses!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 22, 2018 at 2:59:40 pm

Instead of using Turbulent Displace, I'd recommend using the Displacement Map effect and drive it with precomp. In that precomp, use the Fractal Noise effect to get the turbulent displacement, but then you can wipe it off with a 50% grey solid wiping on over the top of the Fractal Noise.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]