FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disk Cache issue (disable Disk Cache?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filip Stillerska
Disk Cache issue (disable Disk Cache?)
on Aug 20, 2018 at 5:32:40 pm
Last Edited By Filip Stillerska on Aug 20, 2018 at 5:34:13 pm

Every time I open AE, I receive a message that my disk cache is on a drive that doesn't have enough available space. I have a separate 500GB SSD only for disk cache and media cache. In my AE preferences, I've allowed a maximum disk cache size of 400GB. However, these 400GB fills up almost immediately.

My questions/thoughts are:
  • Should I empty my disk cache when I receive the message mentioned above?
  • When my disk cache is full, does AE automatically delete the oldest disk caches from old projects to make room for new disk caches from the current project, or does it stop creating new disk caches?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Disk Cache issue (disable Disk Cache?)
on Aug 20, 2018 at 5:36:32 pm

Ae automatically prunes older items out of the cache. You might get that error message, though, if your other caches are taking up too much space. Note that each version of Ae creates its own cache, so if you've upgraded, you might have an old cache taking up space.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Filip Stillerska
on Aug 20, 2018 at 6:32:04 pm

So there's no need to worry about that message since AE automatically prunes older items out of the cache? It won't stop storing new cache just because it's full (it removes old cache instead of stop generating new cache)? Correct?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 20, 2018 at 6:43:25 pm

That's not to say AE does that pruning well. (has it ever?)
It might also be a permissions issue. Do you, as the user, and AE, as the writing app, have permission to read and write to that drive?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 20, 2018 at 7:06:18 pm

[Steve Bentley] "That's not to say AE does that pruning well. (has it ever?)"

There are occasional cache-related bugs (like the "After Effect Composition background glitch?" thread from a couple days back), but I have never seen a version of Ae fail to remove its own old cache files to make room for new ones.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Filip Stillerska
on Aug 21, 2018 at 11:40:30 am

Well, I'll just keep ignoring this message since it doesn't create any issues and especially since it removes its own old cache files to make room for new ones. If it didn't automatically remove old caches then it would be a different story for me (then I would go and manually empty it). Disk cache is important.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 22, 2018 at 9:43:47 am

[Filip Stillerska] "Well, I'll just keep ignoring this message since it doesn't create any issues and especially since it removes its own old cache files to make room for new ones. If it didn't automatically remove old caches then it would be a different story for me (then I would go and manually empty it). Disk cache is important."

Sorry, I think I was unclear.

Ae maintains separate cache folders, per version of After Effects. Any version of Ae will prune its own cache, but it will NOT automatically prune old cache files from other versions of Ae. (Starting with 15.1, though, explicitly running the clear cache command should remove caches from older versions.)

Take a look inside your cache folder. If you have caches from previous versions of Ae that you are not actively using, you can manually remove those caches -- they're taking up room that your current cache can't use.

If those old caches and your conformed media cache is taking up more than 100 GB, then you won't have 400 GB available for the new cache and will get that notification.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Filip Stillerska
on Aug 21, 2018 at 11:37:16 am

I don't think there's a permission issue here since everything works completely fine. When I empty my disk cache the message goes away and my disk cache just starts piling up again. This is probably because I work a lot with HD and sometimes even 4K material, so I don't think it is a big mysterium why my disk cache is full all the time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]