FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extreme Grainy Edges

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lex Villena
Extreme Grainy Edges
on Aug 20, 2018 at 8:15:15 am

How can I achieve an effect like the one see here on shapes? Messing with roughen edges comes close, but not exactly what I'm looking for as it's not fuzzy enough on the edges.

Return to posts index

Lex Villena
Re: Extreme Grainy Edges
on Aug 20, 2018 at 8:39:55 am

Photocopy comes close, but it's the inverse of the above sample image...

Return to posts index

Thomas Hannen
on Aug 20, 2018 at 9:26:40 am

This looks to me like it was made in a 3D package like C4D or Blender, using Ambient Occlusion with the sample rate set very low to achieve the fuzzy effect.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 20, 2018 at 6:17:59 pm

You might be able to get there with CC Ball Action. Precomp your shaded spheres and the apply the effect on the precomp in the outer layer. In the effect, animate the scatter attribute and set the ball size to something like 10. I'm not sure if the scatter effect should be a random number on each frame or a smoothly changing amount.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 20, 2018 at 6:25:29 pm

Two other tips - try animating the instability state in the effect rather than scatter (yes, I got to playing; you will still need a scatter amount but it can be fixed).
You can also use the rotation and twist but you might have to rotate your precomped sphere by the same amount so the balls in the effect don't go "round the clock". Well, they will, but with the sphere rotating by the same amount, and probably the precom itself too, they should look like they are staying put meanwhile you have all this random motion going on with the balls themselves.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 20, 2018 at 6:26:35 pm

And while it should be obvious, the spheres in the precomp will need a glow or gaussian blur on them to get that soft edge.

Return to posts index

Lex Villena
on Aug 20, 2018 at 8:49:49 pm

I got fairly close using roughen edges and bevel, emboss. Not exactly, but close enough. Now I only have to figure out how to have them interact and bounce into each other like in the sample.

Return to posts index

Lex Villena
on Aug 20, 2018 at 8:51:51 pm

Not nearly as noisey in the center as I'd like, though, even with dancing dissolve added to the shape layer.

Return to posts index

Lex Villena
on Aug 20, 2018 at 8:52:59 pm

I'll give the methods cited by you guys to see if it's closer to the effect. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 22, 2018 at 3:09:27 pm

CC Ball Action or Trapcode Form would be capable of doing this if you really messed with it. (You'd need to work to remove the individual shading from the balls in CC Ball Action (unless you like that sort of thing.)

Alternatively, you can use a layer with noise applied (cranking up the levels a bit) to drive a Displacement Map effect.

Alternatively, if you get the noisy look inside that you like, but not on the edges, you could blur the edges and set the blending mode to Dissolve. :D

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Lex Villena
on Aug 25, 2018 at 12:58:53 am

Okay, so a much faster way to achieve this effect (at least the noisey edges) is to just throw on a gaussian blur and then set the layer to dancing dissolve.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Aug 25, 2018 at 10:50:34 am

Also of note that in the original example the palette seems to have been limited to about 8 colors (as in GIF animation color palette), which adds its own flavor.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]