FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sticking an Element 3D model to a moving car with planar tracking - possible?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Shearon
Sticking an Element 3D model to a moving car with planar tracking - possible?
on Aug 16, 2018 at 10:06:53 pm

As the title says, I have a shot where I’d like to stick an Element 3D model to a moving car. I know I can use the AE camera tracker to accomplish this but it frequently fails or slides around while the planar tracking of Mocha AE is much more reliably consistent.

I know this isn’t really what Mocha AE was designed for but is there a way to make it work with Element, or do I need to just invest in something like Syntheyes?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Sticking an Element 3D model to a moving car with planar tracking - possible?
on Aug 16, 2018 at 10:39:41 pm

If I understand the problem correctly, you are telling the track to be only in 2D so you're not really generating a solve for a 3D camera. But you need to view the E3D element in true 3D. It might track fine if it was a sphere in E3D because you wouldn't see it not rotating in perspective, but if was more complex, even a simple cube, the eye would notice that it's not shifting in perspective correctly compared to the moving car.

Is there a reason you can't a true 3D camera solve right inside AE? (its an effect now so search for camera tracker in the effects and presets panel.)

Return to posts index

Jonathan Shearon
Re: Sticking an Element 3D model to a moving car with planar tracking - possible?
on Aug 17, 2018 at 2:01:54 am

I can use the camera tracker in AE, but I haven’t actually shot the footage yet and it’s a one-shot deal so if it won’t track right I won’t be able to go back and reshoot to make it work. In my experience there’s a good chance that AE’s native tracking points will slip and slide around, while Mocha’s planar tracking tends to be more reliable for me.

I’m just trying to do my due diligence before filming to be sure I can achieve the shot I want.

Return to posts index

Martin Brennand
on Aug 16, 2018 at 11:36:43 pm

Well, Mocha Pro does have a camera solver for this purpose.
We take the planar track and convert it to a 3D solve. There are some limitations, however, since we need at least two planar tracks to get the relative dimensions of the scene.

Here is a list of videos going through this:
https://borisfx.com/videos/?tags=feature:3D%20Camera%20Module&search=

Alternatively, take a look at MochaBlend: https://borisfx.com/products/mochablend-for-c4d/

Martin Brennand | Product Manager | mocha - Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Jonathan Shearon
on Aug 17, 2018 at 2:04:22 am

I’d love to be able to afford Mocha Pro, but at $700 it’s not a viable option for a hobbyist like myself. The only reason I was even considering Syntheyes was because they have a $300 version - but even that is pushing it for my limited non-budget.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 17, 2018 at 2:56:28 am

Tell us more about the shot.
What does the car do? How does it pass through frame? Is the camera locked off, locked off on sticks and can pan, or handheld? Whats behind the car? Does anything pass in front of the car? What is the object you need to stick to the car?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Aug 17, 2018 at 4:31:42 pm

With some planning, you can get better results in a variety of ways. Would something like the below work?

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Aug 18, 2018 at 9:29:52 am

You could get away with tracking three points on the car and using one as anchor point and the other two strategically placed for scale and 3D rotation. Matching perspective will be tricky as will figuring out how much the relative distances of the tracked points affect the rotation of the object. But it can work; I've done that in a scene where no amount of AE 3D tracking would make an object stick to a moving person.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]